Sunday, December 02, 2007

Weekend Indulgences

Coffee. BB need coffee.

***

I went out with a buddy last night. Mike "Lladies Llove" Llorca and I hit a sports bar to watch some college ball: OU vs. Mizzou. I'm not a football fan, but I am still a Longhorn. Needless to say, the game didn't turn out the way I wanted.

But it was good to catch up with my boy. It was loud and smokey in there, and the place was reacting to almost every play.

We were at Champs, which I believe is where the "Queen Arugula" jokes started many years ago.

***

I had too much dessert. Yes, of all the over-indulgence that goes in a bar, I'm probably the only person who had too much chocolate chip cookie pie (or whatever it was called). But hoo baby it was good.

***

And since I was in MOBB's car, which has a fine, loud stereo, I listened to Helmet the whole way there and back. Seeing Helmet in person didn't bother my ears since I wore protection; listening to their CD last night did. I overdid it, and my ears are still ringing.

***

AND, there was a DeLorean parked out front. Check it out. No, I didn't see Michael J. Fox anywhere.

***

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Okay, so some utterly freaky stuff happened before lunch. It's the kind of thing I can't share with just everyone, I'm sorry to say. I'm going to email the anecdote as a "not suitable for the blog" entry in a bit. Unless I nod off at the machine.

***

Speaking of nodding off at the machine, I heard back from the prof regarding my sloppy APA style on my paper. Basically, she told me to relax, and that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. She likes my work overall, likes me as a person, and I should quit being such a Briscoe.

[Okay, she didn't add that last part.]

***

After I got home, MOBB and I watched 300. We started it late, and I didn't mean to watch it all and stay up until 2am, but it was pretty doggone gripping. The colors, the action, the bravery, the... slightly androgynous Xerxes... I couldn't turn it off..

And pecs. And abs. MOBB didn't complain about watching it twice in one evening, and asked at 2am if I could work out and look like that.

"Give me a couple years," I told her.

***

And I do work out. Or did. I haven't done much since September. Whit's about to pull his hair out because I'm not working out. Hey, I am too. It's on my mind every day.

But every day, almost, I'm wrapped up in work, school, and/or clients. Most days at about 4:30pm I'm ready to sleep at my desk, and I usually still have much work to do. I'm not being lazy; I'm worn out.

That said, I mean to work out between semesters (fall ended yesterday). I may indeed return to Krav Maga, though I've left a message with a Muay Thai school in Fort Worth that's got a good reputation and offers month-to-month tuition. I hope the spring semester will allow me to work out, but I honestly don't know. More practicum work, more lecture... we'll see. I won't have a Saturday class anymore, and I'm glad about that.

***

You really should hear the theme to Larry Boy. I've got a little clip here, but it doesn't do it justice. It's a tight funk song, really clever. I stand up and dance almost every time I hear it.



***

The coffee's working. Once again, caffeine props me up, allows me to face the world. Ya'll have a good Sunday. Take a look around. Cherish your loved ones. Let them know today how important they are to you.

No comments: