Wednesday, December 27, 2006

MRI, Marital, Martial

Had a voicemail from the neurologist this morning when I turned on the cellphone. Seems he'd seen the partial MRI I did last week, and wanted to chat about it.

I must admit that it made my heart race a bit. Neurologist, MRI, results... had to remind myself we were just talking about a sore leg here.

I called him, and he started by telling me there's "something" in my leg, and "it's not a tumor" (go ahead, make a Schwarzenegger joke). He goes on to say it's a cyst, and that I've got a torn lower calf muscle as well.

So... that'd explain the pain I've had for a year.

I'm being referred to an orthopedic doctor. All of this sounds like a possible surgery to me, and that doesn't thrill me. We'll see what my options are.

***

I've got so much doggone time off this week... sweet!

***

Results from the sonogram on my guts are due Friday or so. I'm still gonna say I bet this is my gallbladder.

I come from a long line of remarkable men, and you know, it doesn't thrill me that my body's acting like such a creampuff.

***

Went to Krav tonight. Well, I showed up for the bag/cardio class, as it was Kelli's turn to take Krav while I watched the kids.

No one else was around, so I got to spar with the instructor for a while.

I can say it: I love sparring. I mean to do this as much as I can. I also hope to, you know, someday be good at it. I would say sparring with David was much like sparring with Whit. I worked on my breathing, worked on better arm position, and a sweet little kick I mean to incorporate.

Then we did a little ground work. I got to practice sprawling to stuff a takedown, and I learned a couple takedowns myself. It was great, gotta say.

***

The kids will be spending one night (maybe more) with their grandparents later this week. Really looking forward to that.

***

THEBOY and I visited a good, local Kung Fu school today. I realized that he's got a bit of my mercurial personality. It appears to be good training, it's close, tuition's reasonable, the instructors have a good rapport with kids... and still you get a variety of answers regarding what THEBOY thinks of it. As it currently stands, he's willing to try a couple classes there next week. Works for me.

I have to make a point not to just shove what I love down the poor kid's throat. I mean, on the one hand I've meant to create a martial arts-friendly model at home. We work out, and this is how we do it. On the other hand, well, if he doesn't want to do it, so be it. He's only six. Maybe in a year or three. Or maybe never. I have to remind myself of that.

***

Better hit the sheets soon. Be good.

No comments: