Sunday, January 28, 2007

I Am Dating MOBB, Not the Babysitter

We did it.

We had a date. A date! Yeah, we hired our super duper babysitter to watch the kids while we headed out for an evening of dinner and otherwise not-so-fully-planned-out revelry.

***

We hit one of those hibachi places for supper, where our genuine Mexican chef worked the not-so-genuine Japanese hibachi and cranked out fine food between softly spoken jokes about butterflies (SPLAT!) and Sesame Street.

It was low-key yet delightful, to be honest.

MOBB looked nice, and heck, I shaved and got a haircut.

(I went to a REAL barbershop too, Denman's, because I'm tired of the hack jobs I get at the Pro Cuts and Cool Cuts 4 Kids places).

***

BB's current therapy: Alpacas Orgling by L.E.O.

***

After stuffing ourselves at dinner we hit a Starbucks (what else?) for some sugar and caffeine.

Then 'twas on to the new Borders, where we took our bloody sweet time perusing the books and such. It's where I bought this L.E.O. CD I'm currently listening to.

[Side note: You know, part of the lure of this L.E.O. CD is the fact that Andy Sturmer, vocalist for the legendary Jellyfish, contributed. He's mostly been a producer and songwriter since the 'Fish days, and his fans have long ached to hear him sing again. So here he is singing on new material--FINALLY--and he's pretty much just got one verse on one song. That... that's just plain cruel, okay. There are tons of folks who'd pay cash on the barrelhead to hear him sing, say, the ingredient list on the back of a Frosted Flakes box. Why oh why must he tease us this way?]

I was poking through the martial arts books and picked up one called, I believe, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Kickboxing. I noticed that the man in a photo was Guy Mezger. I thumbed through some more and realized that he was featured in pretty much all the photos.

A look at the spine: Ah, he WROTE it. Well cool.

I didn't buy it though.

***

Funny, after I picked the sitter up we stopped at Quizno's to grab some food for the kids. The sandwich-makin'-lady asked, "So are you two related, or are you dating?"

WHOA.

I laughed. "I am 20 years older than this young lady. She's the babysitter, and she's going to watch my kids while my wife and I have a date."

The sandwich-makin'-lady was mortified, and that wasn't entirely necessary. It was amusing, that's all.

***

I woke up feeling like hell. I slept okay, but I was tired nevertheless, and something about breakfast had caused my stomach to talk back to me. I'd briefly considered bailing out of Krav, but decided to man up and go.

And it was a good class! My stamina was good again, and I felt like my striking technique was good today. I'm not a big strong guy, so I really have to rely on good mechanics to produce power, and today I did.

Next week I'll only get to go twice at most (dang!), so I'm glad I got my ass over there today.

***

Bedtime approaches. Be good. Mostly.

No comments: