Sunday, January 28, 2007

Of Matches and Matchboxes

This will be our 10th year in this house. When the previous owner was giving me the lowdown on where everything is, he pointed me to a basket full of matches. He explained that whenever he went out to eat he'd pick up a book of matches from the restaurant, if available.

We are still using them. I guess he ate out a lot.

***

When I was a boy of about six I was playing with a Matchbox car with my older cousin, Denton Lee, at our grandparents' house. We were just doing as boys do, rolling it around on the hardwood floors.

It rolled under a dresser in the back bedroom, and we couldn't retrieve it, couldn't reach it to get it out.

***

When my friend Steve and I were kids, we'd have contests with our Matchbox cars. The object was to see which car could be rolled across the carpet the farthest without tipping over. Without a doubt the champion was a white one called "Pantera 8." I had a fine little collection of cars, but nothing came close. With it's wide wheelbase and heavy construction it won our contests over and over.

I went out and bought a pair of them, and after that the contests lost some of their lustre.

***

As a young man of about 21 I was in my grandfather's house one day, and I remembered the lost car.

I went into the back bedroom, knelt down and peered under the dresser.

There it was, where it had sat motionless for 15 years. I pulled it out and marveled at the shiny green Matchbox race car with the orange windshield. You'd be surprised how exciting it can be to find an artifact like that, a direct, tangible connection to a moment when you were a child. Suddenly I was back in that moment, back in that time when I had no worries, and nothing was scarier than some monster movie on a UHF channel.

At 21 I was about to undergo very grownup heartbreak, maybe a year from leaving home (man did I wait a long time!).

I still had those old Matchbox cars though, collected nicely in a little carrying case.

***

I had a new stepbrother (again) at the time, a young boy of about 10. He was a sweet young kid. He and his older brother really touched me, really felt like family.

I gave the young boy my carrying case full of Matchbox cars. He was happy to have them.

A year later things had changed, and I never saw him or the cars again.

***

Last night at the Japanese hibachi restaurant, the chef stacked onion rings, with the biggest on the bottom, the smallest on the top. It was shaped sort of like a volcano. He squirted some oil into the top, struck a match on the hibachi and lit the volcano. Flames shot up about a foot, and for several seconds. It was really kind of amazing. Everything seemed to be okay. The kids were at home with a sitter, I had the love of my life by my side, and I was watching onion-based pyrotechnics.

We were so impressed that the chef did it again.

***

My six-year-old son had some leftover Christmas money, so today we went to the toy store. He picked out several toys, and when he had only a few bucks left he decided to get a five-pack of Matchbox cars.

They're pretty cool too, really clever little designs. My daughter and I played with them for a while, and my son did too. And I couldn't help but wonder where the little green Matchbox car is, lost and found and lost again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just so you know, i'm not dead, i just shut down my blog....i've semi-begun to write smackage again though