Friday, January 05, 2007

This Was the Vacation When:

I started staying up later and later, just like I always do when I don't have, you know, a job to go to in the morning. I ended up with an average bedtime of about 2:30.
 
Needless to say, 6:40am came awful damn early today.
 
***
 
I did a whole lot of nothing. I thought I'd get more done, but I really enjoyed, really NEEDED to indulge myself a bit. On January first we didn't even get out of our pajamas.
 
***
 
I found out that the reason we stopped getting invited to this one New Year's shindig is that I don't drink.
 
***
 
I took THEBOY fishing. That was yesterday, out at Chisholm park. There's a stocked pond, and since he's under 17 and all he needs no license.
 
There's a big beaver living in the pond too. He spent all day on the big fountain apparatus in the middle.
 
We spent maybe an hour out there, freezing our butts off, trying to keep the ducks to keep the hell away from the line. One errant cast nearly snagged someone walking behind us. Sorry lady!
 
We didn't catch a thing. Long about the time I was convinced no fish lived in there we saw two ducks choking down some not far from where the cork was bobbing.
 
I suggested to the boy that we pack up and head home for supper, and he said, "But this IS supper!"
 
Easy there Dan'l Boone... you don't have to feed the family on this.
 
***
 
The calf got worse.
 
Yeah, it's as bad as it's ever been. I've been to physical therapy for this thing and had some massage work done on it. I've stretched it, ignored it, rested it, iced it, heated it... I see the orthopedic doc Friday. I hope it's not time to cut it. We'll see.
 
***
 
I put my book online.
 
 
***
 
I drove drove to or from Corsicana in unnerving, steady rain three times.
 
***
 
I rented movies.
 
Clerks III was the bawdy, squirm-inducing laugh-fest I expected.
 
Christmas in the Clouds was quite amusing.
 
Factotum, despite Matt Dillon's great Bukowski/Chinaski portrayal, was ultimately disappointing.
 
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was the best movie I've seen in some time. It was full of vibrant culture and classic themes.
 
***
 
There may be more to come. Happy New Year.

No comments: