Thursday, September 20, 2007

Buzz

Okay, first and foremost, I finally, FINALLY got the new Bad Brains, Build a Nation.

I’ve only heard a few songs, but oh man am I enjoying this. I was prepared for it to be a pretty big disappointment. And I’d heard things about HR’s voice, even from within the Brains’ camp, that made me think he wouldn’t sound like himself anymore. Nah, he’s still the same old screeching, whooping hardcore barker. Eh, instead of singing in 11 different voices he’s probably only using three now.

But oh the joy of hearing their particular brand of dreadful (nyuk nyuk) skronk once again!

The production’s just meatier than hell, and when the band rocks they ain’t screwing around. My hat’s off to Adam Yauch for producing this. It’s a lot better than God of Love, that’s for sure.

***

Had a pretty good day here I’d say. I took the day off to wrap up some work on a big presentation I had to do tonight. My topic: Alcohol dependence. Ever have to talk about something you know pretty doggone well? I knew I could easily talk for 30 minutes on this.

I was totally relaxed, and as sometimes happens, I barely used the seven pages of notes I had in my hand. I showed a video, I drew on the board, I took questions… I must have had 12-15 questions from the class. They asked my opinions, asked for clarification here and there.

You know, I’ve heard performers say they enjoy being onstage because they get to be someone else for a while. It wasn’t that way for me. I enjoyed this because I got to be myself.

My presentation lasted nearly an hour.

***

Ever get lost in what you’re doing and find yourself humming?

***

And there I was on the drive home, listening to Modern English, and man does “I Melt With You” bring back memories.

***

BB sleepy. Good night.

No comments: