Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Colors

It's a quiet evening here, finally. The kids are due for bed soon, and MOBB is over there, lost in her sudoku. Me, I'm at this machine again, of course.

***

We had dinner at one of those chain places tonight... TGI Fridays? I think that's it.

"Crosstown Traffic" by Jimi Hendrix was playing on the sound system, and we had an exchange that went something like this:

Me: "I know you like the Who and the Beatles, but Jimi Hendrix is important too. He invented the electric guitar."

MOBB: "What?"

Me: "Okay, he didn't invent the electric guitar. But he was one of the best players ever. Muddy Waters invented electricity though."

MOBB: "What?"

Me: "Okay, so there was this concert called Monterey a long time ago. Everyone knew about Pete Townshend from the Who being one of the best guitar players. Thing is, the Who and this man, Jimi Hendrix, were playing Monterey. They got into an argument about who would play last. See, whoever plays last is considered to be the best. Finally, it was decided that Jimi Hendrix would go on last. So the Who played before him, and they smashed up their instruments."

Wolfboy: "Except John."

Me: "Right. He didn't smash things. And then Jimi Hendrix came out and played, and when he was done he set his guitar on FIRE!"

Wolfboy: "Can I tell you something?"

Me: "What?"

Wolfboy: "I don't like french fries with pepper on them."

You know... you try to raise a kid right, but sometimes there's just no reachin' 'em.

***

I've read that Jimi Hendrix heard sound in colors, and that there's even a name for that. Can't recall what it is though.

As it turns out, I see the world in colors.

Really.

***

If you've never seen or heard this, you need to:



***

My 86-year-old grandmother is having hip surgery tomorrow morning. I'm quite concerned about her.

***

I have the opportunity to sit in on some counseling sessions with a former professor of mine who now works in the same agency as I. I am thrilled to say the least.

***

Trichotillomania. Not even sure if I spelled that right. But I just wanted to say that.

***

In case I didn't forward the info to you, an arrest has been made in the murder of my former boss, George Smith: his wife. She is accused of hiring a young man to kill George. This young man has been arrested, and it didn't take long for him to start talking.

***

I've got so much packing to do. And I hope I can squeeze in a workout while up in Ohio.

***

I used to write short stories. I liked some of them. They were all flawed, some more so than others. I may slap one up here once in a while.

***

The guitar beckons. Maybe I'll get to post on the road, maybe not. I return Saturday evening. If you don't hear from me, have a terrific week. Appreciate what you have and tell those you love how you feel about them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd read about the Smith case after we returned. I keep thinking how creepy it was that his wife was at the memorial service. I guess she HAD to be there, or it would be an immediate red flag.

A.

Anonymous said...

Hearing music in color is known as music-color synesthesia. Seeing the world in color is poetic.

BB said...

Our parents were at that memorial service too, right? I may ask Dad whether he thought her demeanor was unusual.

And... synesthesia... synesthesia... I'll never remember that. I don't know about the poetic bit though. That's very kind nevertheless.