Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A Girl or...

Riding on the train this morning, I overhead a conversation while I was reading Faithful by Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King. You may recall that the book is a chronicle of the Boston Red Sox 2004 season.

Guy #1: "We just found out that my wife is pregnant."
Guy #2: "Hey, that's great. Congratulations."
Guy #1: "Thanks. She's due in July. That would make conception time right around game 7."

(The game 7 to which he was referring was the one in which the Red Sox, having lost the first 3 games to the Yankees, won the American League Championship with a four-game win streak. Coincidentally, I'm reading about that very series in the book).

Guy #1: "We find out next week whether it'll be a girl or a shortstop."
Guy #2 laughs.
Guy #1: "I told my wife we could name it Manny"

(Manny Ramirez was named the 2004 World Series Most Valuable Player)

I wanted to turn around and say, "Sorry to nose in, boys, but you really ought to read this book if you get a chance."

But I couldn't. What did the shrink call it? "Moderate social phobia."

Odd. I thought I just hated everyone.

***

Talked to Dad on the phone last night. The passing of his friend Mike is still difficult, of course. He talked about how he'd known the guy for so long, and how he's just not there now, and how strange that is. He's worried for Mike's wife, of course. Dad's now lost two good friends, the first being his buddy Red back in '80 or so.

But Dad spoke with optimism about possibly leasing a house on the river in Matagorda, and about having his grandsons out there for a week to fish and crab. It sounded great, and Santa DID bring Kevin a fishing rod for Christmas...

Sometime back Dad wrote a series of short biographical pieces, and if I can lay hands on them soon I'd like to post them here. Very interesting and entertaining reading.

***

The local rags keep saying that the Rangers are still in the hunt for first baseman Carlos Delgado. Okay, I like Delgado and all, but I've read two quotes in the paper from Delgado's agent, both of which basically said that Delgado likes the Rangers, respects their ownership tremendously, but that the Rangers simply cannot pay him enough.

And... do we really need him? Teixeira is no slouch as a first baseman. Okay, Delgado would be a beastly DH, but do we need to pay someone $10mil+ a year to pick up a bat three times a game?

***

A December quote from Kelli as we were putting up the exterior Christmas decorations: "Hey, this kind of tape doesn't stick to dirt."

(I still love you, hon)

***

THEBOY is in pre-K now, going on his first field trip today. The Hurst Library, which is barely more than a stone throw from our home, is the destination. He was worried this morning, asked if I could come along to fasten his seatbelt on the bus. The poor kid.

At school as I dropped him off he mentioned the seatbelt to his teacher, who reassured him that she'd help him.

Ya'll be good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no way Delgado winds up in Texas. Eventually Baltimore will pony up the cash because they know they need every bat they can get (especially with Ponson looking to be in Aruba for months over popping a judge.)

Teixeira will be just fine and the Rangers are better off spending the money on Millwood and finding another few arms to run out there.