Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Machinery of His Downfall...

As if I weren't already anxious enough about this statistics course... a scene from Office Max last night:

Me: "Hey, do you guys have the Casio graphing calculator? Your website shows that you sell it for about $40, which is a lot less than the $100 my statistics prof said I'd pay."

Clerk: "No sorry, we're out."

Me: "Dang... time to go with plan C, not that I know what plan C is at the moment..."

(Plan A had been to get it at Office Depot, where it's $34.98... and they were out too...)

Clerk: "Listen, man, take it from someone who failed statistics: Get the good calculator (the TI). You don't wanna be fighting your cheap calculator if you're struggling anyway. Makes it hard to keep up in class."

Me: "Oh, uh... okay."

Clerk: "What's your major?"

Me: "Well, I have to take this class for--"

Clerk: "Mine was psychology. Had to have that one class and just couldn't pass it."

(Our hero's heart races)

Me: "Um, okay, thanks."

So this guy was a psych major who may have had his whole career plan derailed because he couldn't pass the main class that stands between grad school and me. And now he's makin' $8 an hour at Office Max selling the very calculators which were part of the machinery of his downfall...

I don't know if he's aware of the irony, but I didn't need to hear that either way.

***

The problem with using one of those hand-held baskets in the grocery store is that, until I get any groceries in it, I walk along swinging the damn thing like I'm Little Red Riding Hood. I can't help it.

***

Saw a wreck happen on the freeway this morning. I heard a loud "bang" and looked over in the fast lane to see that a young woman in a Chevy Cavalier had had her hood fly open. The windshield was completely obscured, and she peered out the bottom gap to see what she could while slamming on her brakes and pulling to the shoulder.

The truck behind her did an admirable job of stopping in a hurry to avoid her, but the van behind him had no such luck. BANG! Instant black smoke. Bad way to start their respective days, I'm sure, but I don't think anyone was hurt. Still, scary at 70 mph.

***

Sleeping very well these days for some reason, not waking up at all. Problem is, it also means I'm sleeping right through the nighttime noises THEGIRL makes that wake up Kelli.

***

I interview with the Betty Ford Center in Irving this afternoon. I'm hoping to squeeze in some volunteer work there, mostly because it'd look good on a grad school application. I think it'd be good for me though.

***

20 days until pitchers and catchers report...

Happy Wednesday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem with using one of those hand-held baskets in the grocery store is that, until I get any groceries in it, I walk along swinging the damn thing like I'm Little Red Riding Hood. I can't help it.Nothing wrong with that. Just don't skip. That makes the HEB clerks very nervous...

Georgina

Anonymous said...

Casio graphing calculatorYou might be able to find a used one on Amazon.com.

Georgina

Amanda said...

If you can't get the calculator, or find yourself struggling... get yourself a tutor! I actually did well in remedial college algebra because we had one hour twice per week where the instructor helped us with our homework and explained things we had questions about. They should have math lab for every math course!

Good luck on your interview. Working at Betty Ford would be interesting, and give you a feel for what that work situation is really like. When are you going to have time to do all of this?

A.

BB said...

Yeah, the calculator is something I need to decide about. The TI-83 is readily available for $100, and it's the one the clerk emphatically suggested. I don't have time to order one at this point... I may try one or two more office supply places tonight, then bite the bullet on the TI-83.

And believe me, I just may get a tutor. It got me through algebra at UT.

Anonymous said...

I had to take statistics and hated every minute of it. Fortunately, I took it during a short summer session and had a very forgiving prof - if you showed up for every class and put forth a little effort, he at least passed you with a C. Too bad most grad classes require a B or better.

Bruiser