Sunday, January 16, 2005

What I Didn't Know...

...was that Debra Winger and Arliss Howard, who starred in and produced the movie version of Larry Brown's Big Bad Love, created the film specifically for ME.

What other explanation is there? Beautiful and artfully disjointed, sort of like if Charles Bukowski had written "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty." How huge it was for me to see RL Burnside in a scene, tearing the joint down with his guitar. Or to see Brown himself, delivering a few lines in a bar (echoes of Buk in Barfly...).

Beautiful Southern imagery, colorful characters, and just a chance to breath deeply, to absorb a Larry Brown movie. It was a perfect fit for me, for right now, for this mindset. Yeah, I recommend it, but keep in mind it's MY movie...

***

...was that a fat gray field mouse lurked in a hole that rotted in the back patio cover. I cleared out a bunch of rotted wood and leaves, and there he was, cornered, clearly in a panic.

I had just enough time to look at him and think, Hey--it's a mouse! before he took a running jump out of the hole and into the air. From 10 feet above ground he leaped, and he went forward a good 10 feet too (the Texas judge gives it a 9.5--he gets docked half a point for brushing my sleeve). He had enough hang time that I could glance at the concrete below him and think, He's toast. And wouldn't you know, he hit that concrete and just kept running. It was incredible. I even went after him, convinced he'd only make it a few feet. Couldn't find him. Not sure how he survived that, even if he did crawl off somewhere and succumb to injuries.

***

...was that in my first three judo classes, I'd come away with two injuries. The broken/dislocated toe makes some things tough to do. And now I've pulled a muscle in my side that the chiropractor suggests will keep me out of class 10 days to two weeks. I'm not a judo student; I'm Juan Gonzalez (baseball fans will understand).

***

...was that Saturday night, during the very hour my buddy Danny Henley and I were in a Starbucks, comparing mother stories and opinions, Georgina's mother passed.

I'm really sorry it happened.

I love words, but it frustrates me that they fail me right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words fail me too. But I thank you for the thoughts. Mom was very ill at the end and I am glad that she is not suffering now.

I'm not so sure about that poor mouse though. There's a Nike campaign in that somewhere: Jump high, run fast and don't think about the concrete.

Georgina

BB said...

From an email Danny Henley sent me (hope he doesn't mind me posting this):

Just read your latest post to the blog. Sorry to hear about your Georgina's Mom. Odd timing, to say the least, and always sad news. As you have described in the past feeling like the father of every kid who walks a little too close to the street, I feel oddly kin to everyone who loses a mother since the loss of mine. I wish for her strength and peace in her time of grief.

***

Danny's bloggin' too: http://plenaryinstant.blogspot.com