Thursday, January 20, 2005

Not So Good...

Bad morning. THEBOY had puked last night, but he slept well. He made a really valiant effort to eat breakfast this morning, even suggesting I put a barf bowl beside him at the breakfast table.

Then he lost it, all over his plate, the table, his pajamas, the chair, the floor.

And I lost my appetite.

Kelli is staying home to care for the poor kid. I can still hear him over the toilet last night, asking himself, "Why am I always sick?"

(***Update: As of noon today he began eating and drinking. At 1pm we spoke and he'd kept everything down and was clearly feeling better. Hope this one is done.***)

***

So I got on the train today and discovered that I'd left my wallet in the van. In my wallet are my rail pass and my money. This meant that I could be kicked off the train during a routine ticket check. I gather this procedure involves police and gets you a fine. Luckily they did not check tickets this morning. It was a nervous ride in nevertheless.

This also means that I have no money to get breakfast, lunch, or a one-way rail pass home. Well, I do now, since a coworker floated me a $10 loan.

***

How Not to Prepare for Judo Class

1. Eat a late lunch and nothing else prior to the 8pm class.

2. Go to an eatery you occasionally patronize only because they're walking distance from work (no one goes there because they like the food).

3. For that lunch, eat the biggest cheeseburger they make. Follow it with a large order of fries

The result: You will want to blow chunks before you've executed your first O-goshi.

***

But I did okay, just pacing myself, focusing, deciding I wasn't going to beat myself. Like I told the instructor, "My stamina left, and it didn't even leave me a note."

And I've re-aggravated the muscle strain in my side. Hey, do the same throw 50 times and you too might feel like your love handle is on fire. But you know, this isn't "Tiddlywinks for Creampuffs 101," is it? People all over class are taped up, discolored here and there, wincing, taking the occasional misplaced knee or awkward fall. God knows I'm brittle enough; I could stand to toughen up anyway.

We did an exercise where you lie down and one person pins you above the waist and the other holds your legs. Again, I was paired with two black belts. And you know, one time I got out of Thuy's kata gatame. I was proud of that.

***

A crime is being committed, folks. I know most of my friends have heard of Jellyfish, one of the greatest pure pop bands since, yes, the Beatles. Tight musicianship, stellar songwriting, and the vocals... I saw these guys do an in-store set in Austin many years back. I stood on a stairwell behind them, listening to their monitor mix. Their harmonies were perfect.

And the crime is that after they broke up, vocalist Andy Sturmer just sort of faded away. I mean, I know he's done some producing here and there, some music-related work that didn't result in a gleeful BB holding a shiny new CD at any point.

But some Jellyfish enthusiasts on the Jellylist have discovered that he's doing some music for cartoons like Teen Titans. Lo and behold, someone posted a sample. This man should be required by law to make more CDs, ya'll.

***

I'm taking off Friday. I've got a couple of things to do, like meet a grad counselor at Texas Wesleyan University. Gotta make sure I'm getting all my ducks in a row to get my fanny registered for the fall.

***

Better day to ya'll. And me.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Poor Kevin! It does seem like he has this stuff a lot. Ugh. What a way to start the day. Sounds like a fun train ride too. At least you avoided the ticket check.