Thursday, January 06, 2005

Killing Time...

...before time kills me...

You know, I never get tired of "The Needle and the Damage Done" by Neil Young. There's a fine, probably lesser-known version on a 1993 (MTV) Unplugged CD. Thing is, the audience insists on clapping along rhythmically during the instrumental opening. Gotta say that Young's harrowing tale of heroine addiction just doesn't strike me as a clap-along sort of tune.

***

"Nothingness" by Living Colour is a great, overlooked song.

***

There's an archived interview with author Sherman Alexie posted at http://www.kuow.org/program_powerofvoice.asp?Archive=12-23

He's funnier, more upbeat than I expected.

***

Hmm... no word from Mike Llorca today, which is highly unusual. I'll bet Denise had the baby. I'm anxiously awaiting confirmation.

***

Currently in Hurst it is 34 degrees. But pitchers and catchers report on February 16. The sun will shine again, boys and girls...

***

One of the great things about riding the train to and from work is the free time it gives me. The commute is about 45 minutes, so I get about 90 minutes to read or study each day. I just began reading Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn, and it's as engrossing and harrowing as I expected.

***

I managed to get through my first judo lesson without embarrassing myself (much--arriving 10 minutes early and interrupting the women's class was a wee bit awkward, but I beat a hasty retreat). Mister Russ (as he asked me to call him) is clearly a good teacher, a black belt taking up the slack (nyuk nyuk) due to Sensai Mesa's pregnancy. I thought we had a good rapport, and if he's the primary teacher for a while that'll be fine with me.

I did wrench my back a bit while throwing him (I'm 180 lbs, he's 190-something), but I have to admit that I'd somehow tweaked it at work earlier that day. I'm hoping it was was just a freak occurrence and not something likely to hinder my ability to take lessons.

I watched a 100 lb 11-year-old also throw the instructor, and he made it look pretty smooth and effortless. Remind me not to tangle with that kid.

The gi Whit got me is great. Man, they don't mess around when they make these things. Heavy, durable... thanks again, Sifu.

***

Feel better soon, Georgina.

No comments: