Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Attractive to So Few

Wednesday… will this week never end? At least there’s a long weekend coming up.

***

Inspired by our successful trip to see the Frisco Roughriders last weekend, we’re now headed to Ft. Worth Friday night to see the Cats play. Snagged four good seats for about $40 total.

***

An interesting bit from Roger Manning’s bio on his website:

“I purchased not one but 5 music notation books of transcribed Chicago albums. These amazing books contained guitar tablature, piano chords, vocal melodies and lyrics, as well as separate transcriptions of brass and string arrangements represented on the original recordings. This was a crash course in pop song composition and arranging.”

I still love those old Chicago pop records like “Searchin’” and “Wishing You Were Here.” Ditto for “25 or 6 to 4,” but mostly for the guitar playing. If I’m going to sit through a long solo I like the ones where you can hear the guitarist think, if that makes any sense. Too many guys just sound like they’re marching out the same scales they can play backwards and forwards. I like to hear them stumble a bit, work to make transitions between licks.

***

Once Chicago transitioned into the “high school homecoming” band, though… eh, they lost my interest. “Hard To Say I’m Sorry” seemed to be huge at the time, but it doesn’t hold up well at all.

***

I did a quick spot vacuum job this morning, and when I finished THEGIRL clapped. That’s one happy kid!

Thank you, thank you… I can operate the Kirby…

***

I have a new haircut and no one has said a single word about it. I’m not sure if that means it’s awful or it’s perfect.

Or perhaps it’s just further evidence that no straight man has ever worked among so many women yet been attractive to so few…

***

Lunch approaches… slowly…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always said that the music pumping through the speakers in Hell is 80's era Chicago.

Anonymous said...

OOPS!! That last comment was from Bruiser...

Anonymous said...

I dunno, over the years I've lost patience with any era of Chicago. I'm no longer able to tolerate Peter Cetera's voice. Don't much like the "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is" guy, either.

The best of that horn-driven pop style was the first Blood, Sweat & Tears album Child is Father to the Man, made when Al Kooper was still in charge and that blowhard David Clayton Thomas wasn't around yet.

Michael

BB said...

No, I feel fairly certain that the music in hell is provided by the Cure and/or the Grateful Dead.

And hell to me would be cold. Shoot, it's 101 outside now... the Devil's going to scare me with HEAT?

Him: "Boo--it's hot, BLARGH!"

Me: "Screw you, I'm from Texas--what else you got?"

And yeah, David Clayton Thomas-era BS&T (which continues, somehow) drives me BANANAS.

Anonymous said...

The Grateful Dead (I'm gonna come out and say: WORST ROCK BAND EVER.) will be alternating with some gawdawful lounge music (oh wait - that's all of it!) in my little cell in Satania. Not lookin' forward to that.

Michael

Anonymous said...

I won't try to defend anything Chicago recorded after 1975, but there's a lot of great music on the first few albums (particularly their debut, Chicago Transit Authority). The late Terry Kath may be the most criminally under-recognized guitarist of the rock era.

Geoff said...

I think what you meant to say was that 'no straight man has ever worked among so many women yet been attracted to so few' You do still work in traffic my friend...

Anonymous said...

Don't razz too much on Terry Kath. Jimmy Hendrix once said he was one of the greatest guitarists he'd ever heard. Now THAT'S a compliment.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Sorry. JIMI Hendrix. Brian won't like that misspelling.