Thursday, June 30, 2005

Tribute

Okay you music geeks… what band would you like to see saluted by way of a tribute album? Feel bold enough to pick artists and tracks?

Gotta start with one of my neverending obsessions, Jellyfish. I'm not the best-versed, most name-droppin' music guy out there, but if you don't like it I'll take my ball and go home:

Eric Matthews – “Glutton of Sympathy”
Ben Folds – “My Best Friend”
XTC – “The Man I Used to Be” Hey, it’s my damn fantasy lineup…
Jason Falkner – “The King is Half-Undressed” Okay, call it a copout because he was IN Jellyfish… this sort of thing isn’t unheard of, and I’d love to hear his own layered vox approach to this song, which is still does live sometimes.
Helmet – “All is Forgiven” I can just HEAR Hamilton and his mercenaries launching into this noisefest…
Brian Wilson – “Hush” This song always reminded me of the Beach Boys anyway.
Matthew Sweet – “Joining a Fan Club”
Brave Combo – “Bye Bye Bye” Okay, I’m not so much into these guys anymore, but hell, don’t we owe them a shot at any polka raveup?
Teenage Fanclub – “New Mistake”
Aimee Mann – “Bedspring Kiss”
Bob Mould – “All I Want is Everything” Because I really want to hear Mould’s overdubbed harmony vox again… I still listen to “If I Can’t Change Your Mind” by Sugar pretty frequently.
Elliott Smith – “I Wanna Stay Home” Since I’m omnipotent and all, I'll just bring back Smith from the grave...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I would have to go with a Cheap Trick tribute:

"He's A Whore" by Anthrax - CT's punkiest tune would be truly astonishing if Anthrax gave it a go. They did an AWESOME job with Joe Jackson's "Got The Time."

"I Want You To Want Me" by Shonen Knife

"Say Goodbye" by George Harrison - Rick Nielsen already ripped off Harrison's slide guitar tone on this one - the greatest Harrison song he never wrote.

"If I Could" by Chemical Brothers -This one already has a trippy feel to it, so Chemical Brothers would do it justice.

"Southern Girls" by Robert Earl Keen - Don't know about this one , but I think REK could pull it off.

"Mandocello" by The Reivers - If you look at the Ovation guitars website, you can see what a mandocello looks like. This was probably Robin Zander's most gorgeous vocal and Kim Longacre would definitely do it justice.

Bruiser

Anonymous said...

Wow, I know I should contribute, but both of y'all did such a good job I don't think I could do it justice. I'll give it some thought, though.

I gotta say, though, Bruiser, that I personally don't think Robert Earl Keen should ever sing someone else's songs. His covers are consistently the worst things about his albums. Kudos, though, for picking "Southern Girls," a Trick classic not enough people seem to appreciate. And picking the Reivers on "Mandocello" is BRILLIANT!

Michael

Anonymous said...

OK, how's this...

A Who tribute album. It's been done (Petra Haden's a cappella version of The Who Sell Out being the most recent), but not to my complete satisfaction. To wit:

“Won’t Get Fooled Again” – Bob Mould (solo acoustic)
“So Sad About Us” – Brendan Benson
“Behind Blue Eyes” – Anders Parker
“Substitute” – Motorhead
“Pictures of Lily” – the Wildhearts
“Pinball Wizard” – Nickel Creek
“Bargain” – Thornetta Davis
“Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere” – the Sights
“Sparks” – the Atomic Bitchwax
“Melancholia” – the Bevis Frond
“Call Me Lightning” – Iggy & the Stooges
“Going Mobile” – the Del McCoury Band
“Who Are You” – Jason Falkner
“Love, Reign O’er Me” – Cassandra Wilson
“Another Tricky Day” – Nebula
“I’m a Boy” – the Dogs D’amour
“Won’t Get Fooled Again” – Wayne Kramer (full band electric)

I'd also love to see Dave Alvin do an album of covers of Chicago blues tunes. He's one of the best cracker blues musicians out there, but he rarely does straight blues.

Michael

BB said...

Hey MT, I think you've got some inspired choices there too. "Substitute" would fit Motorhead perfectly. Nebula might lend great thud to "Another Tricky Day." And Del McCoury! Nice choice. Thanks for pitching in. This came out of a question Mike Llorca asked me not long ago, but my answers didn't mean just a whole lot to him.

And Bruiser... Shonen Knife on "I Want You to Want Me" -- ha!