Friday, June 10, 2005

In An Effort to Creep Your Ass Out...

I wasn’t so much of a Lidsville fan. I was more into Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.

I don’t look back on those Sid/Marty Croft shows with this glowing nostalgia. I just wonder what the hell the writers were on.

***

All these preparations to sell the house get expensive. $500 here, $600 there…

We head to Corsicana to check out houses tomorrow. A couple look really interesting to me.

***

I have a morbid fascination with one house in particular. A week ago it was listed at $190,000.

Then yesterday the price dropped. Bigtime. It’s now posted at $120,000.

Oh, and it’s got 4,500 square feet.

You read right.

I figure there are a number of reasons the price can drop $70k in a few days. Could have massive structural issues, like a pricey slab problem.

But I look at the photos (a local realtor had extensive interior shots—not sure which offhand or I’d post a link) and see hints that an elderly person recently owned the home—go figure.

SO, I’m guessing well-to-do grandma died, left the house to someone who’s just sick of trying to unload a cavernous house in some small Texas town.

4,500 square feet and it’s only got two bedrooms…

The photo of the formal dining room is just ridiculous. I believe it’s bigger than our current house. I look at the master bath with its garish pink tile and the master bedroom with all the scrolled woodwork, and I just get this… “Mommy Dearest” vibe. It’s like some old-school, forgotten actress lived there and slathered on pancake makeup day after day, peering into the smudged mirror while the kudzu took over her garden.

I have to see this place for myself.

***

Happy Friday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If an elderly person owned it, it's quite possible that certain maintenance issues weren't kept up properly and the current owner doesn't want to deal with it. It's also possible that the house has been retrofitted for a senior citizen (bars in the shower, etc.) and said owner doesn't want the trouble of removing them himself. Check this one out with a fine tooth comb.

Michael

BB said...

Yeah, there's that as well. I'm not much of a handyman, and I'm sure not into the idea of buying a massive "fixer upper."

And really... we just don't have nearly enough STUFF to fill it, not to mention the fact that the city will still base the property taxes on their own appraisal, which WON'T be $120k. So I'd say there's a snowball's chance in hell of this being THE house. But I just can't get over this big price drop and the square footage.

Maybe I could turn the dining room into a skating rink.

Anonymous said...

Just be sure there is no blood oozing from the walls.

Bruiser

Geoff said...

thats strange in New York they had to base the taxes on the sale price for something like five years.