Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Hook, Line and Sinker...

WOW.

Ft. Worth Startlegram sports writer Kat O’Brien falls for one of the greatest lines of bachelor bullshit I’ve ever seen (from today's Postcard from the Road column):

Greetings from Detroit,

Sometimes, the last thing you want to do on an airplane is talk to the person next to you. Other times, you get lucky and have an interesting seatmate.

I should know, I met my current roommate, Christine, on a flight home for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago. We didn't talk through a lengthy snowstorm delay, then someone broke the ice and we talked through the whole flight.

Today was a good seatmate day. After trying to sleep through the first half of my 6:30 a.m. flight to Detroit, I gave up on getting any rest. So did the guy next to me, who had a fascinating story.

Clayton was flying to Detroit, then taking his private helicopter to Pelee Island, in the middle of Lake Erie just across the Canadian border. Independently wealthy from a number of business ventures, but unmarried and with no kids, he has decided he'd like his money to go to a good cause when he dies. He's only in his mid-40s, but decided to start now.

So he is in the process of having a castle built in the style of those in Ireland and Scotland, where his ancestors are from. His plan is to create a foundation and allow families who have lost a child to cancer to go there on vacation and receive family counseling at this upscale site.

He will fund the construction with his own money, but hopes to create revenue to sustain the program by sometimes using the castle as an upscale hotel or for wine tastings.

The details kept me awake, and interested.

From Detroit,

Kat

***

I’d have just linked to the story, but it requires registration.

***

“Say, Kat… I seem to have left my platinum card in my helicopter… you mind picking up the tab for this Motel 6? Pay ya back…”

***

Happy Wednesday. Sounds great to be saying that already, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet her readers will delight in pointing out her gullibility and this will be a column she regrets for the rest of her career.

Michael