Monday, April 17, 2006

The Bunny, the Bunny, Whoa--I Love the Bunny

That’s from Veggie Tales, for you non-parents. I sang it for THEGIRL last night as she clutched her new stuffed rabbit, and in the middle of the song she thrust it at me and made a “RRROOOOOOWWWWR!” sound like he was the most ferocious bunny I’d ever seen. And maybe he was.

 

***

 

So yeah, Easter was good! The kids and the in-laws behaved. I thought the weather was gorgeous (though I’m told it was rather hot). It was nice seeing Kelli’s uncle and cousins. One of those days where some of the moments seem like you’ll remember them for a long time.

 

***

 

Backing up a bit, it was a good weekend, largely. Saturday TX Wesleyan and Tiger Klay were closed for the holiday, so that freed up my schedule a bit. Kelli slept in, THEBOY and I got haircuts, and we just generally went about things at a rather relaxed pace.

 

I disappeared late that afternoon to work a few hours on the ethnic identity project I have due Thursday. To those of you who have participated I wish to say thank you. I’ve learned a lot. I still have much work to do, and I now think a big re-write will occur one night this week.

 

***

 

That night was a nice chunk of BB time. I went to another damn Hooters so I could see UFC 59. The one in Grapevine wasn’t quite as packed. It only took me half an hour to get seated. And I had enough bimbo waitresses called me honey and sweetie and touch me way too damn much to remind me just why in the hell I hate having my wallet targeted through my libido.

 

But they seated me at the end of an atrium with a TV of my own right above the table. I faced away from all the other diners and to take in the bouts.

 

A few thoughts:

 

Forrest Griffin was robbed. Yes, Tito beat him silly in the first round. Those elbows were hard to watch. I thought it’d end quickly, but Forrest had enough heart to keep him going when his ground game wouldn’t. After that round he did what a skilled athlete does: He adapted. He knew he was outmatched on the ground, so he very skillfully avoided the takedowns. Tito and Forrest mostly fought standing up for the remainder of the fight, and I’d give the edge to Forrest there. He landed more shots, was more aggressive.

 

And when they did return to the ground, Forrest was elbowing Tito from the bottom! Tremendous display of willpower there. I thought Forrest took rounds two and three. (You out there Geoff? Did you see this? Please chime in if so. You too, Whit.) I was disappointed that he lost the decision.

 

Nick Diaz, tsk tsk. Out-striking Robbie Lawler way back when is probably the worst thing that ever happened to him, as he now feels he’s more well-rounded than he is. So he and Sean Sherk, who is also no puncher (despite his incredible physique), went toe-to-toe much of the time for what looked like three rounds of mildly agitated slapping between two sisters. Holy crap guys, take it to the ground! Diaz is an artist on the ground, and I gather Sherk is no slouch either. Sherk did deserve the decision he got.

 

I used to like Diaz, but I’m growing tired of his bad-boy crap.

 

And Sylvia and Arlovsky—what a freakin’ disappointment! These guys have met twice and still haven’t managed to have a proper scrap. This time they each seemed intimidated. After a couple minutes of sizing each other up, Arlovsky caught Sylvia flush in the face, and Sylvia nearly took a nap right then. He recovered somehow, then sent Arlovsky almost immediately to the mat with his own perfect punch. From there it was all over as Sylvia pummeled him in the ear half a dozen times before Herb Dean stopped the fight.

 

(Side note: If you gave me 100 random photos of guys and asked me which one was named Herb Dean, I’d have picked 99 of the photos incorrectly before figuring HE was the one. That man does NOT look like a “Herb.”)

 

***

 

Whit wants me to come down and be a cornerman for a couple of fights he’s got on a San Shou card this weekend. I find the idea really interesting and cool, though I don’t know if I can get down there. Kelli’s slammed with big projects, and it’s entirely possible she’s got a big one due a few days later. Or is it a week later? Will see.

 

***

 

Have a good afternoon.

 

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Did not see the fights, although this is probably the UFC card I've been most excited about.... We were out in Ocean City and I would have stayed late and seen it out there, but it wasnt' playing anywhere I could find...

then after three hours on the road I just couldn't get myself up for trucking up to Rockville Maryland to go to Hooters.

Guess I'm waiting a year for the damn DVD to come out.