Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Central Park Freakout

On a whim we loaded up and went to the park tonight. We still had some daylight left, the weather was nice, and I just didn't want to settle into an evening with the TV.

So we headed over to Central Park here in Hurst. It's got a playground on one end, and at the other end is a fairly open, grassy area I hoped would be good for launching THEBOY's cool rocket toy.

Kelli and THEGIRL stopped at the playground as THEBOY and I proceeded into the grass to set up.

Thing is, a man was out there at the far end of the park near the woods. I could see boots, a backpack and assorted stuff strewn across a blanket. He was mid-20s maybe, about 5'8", wearing a black stocking cap, a shirt too small for him and khaki pants.

(Did that look like a description one might give the police? Why... it did, didn't it?)

***

The direction of the wind meant we had to set up closer to the guy than I wanted to keep the rocket out of the trees. A second grader soon fell in with us, taking turns as we shot the rocket and chased it around.

But the weirdo was pacing back and forth, talking and singing out loud, and generally drawing attention to himself. It worked, and I made no secret of the fact that I was watching him from 50 or 60 feet away.

I even told THEBOY, "That's a bad guy. If he comes to talk to me, run to Mama and tell her to call the police."

The fact that I was that alarmed was already telling me I should probably get on the phone, but it was across the park in the van. Crap.

The weirdo suddenly set off towards the playground area, singing and babbling as he made a beeline for a trash can.

On his way back, though, he headed for the swingset, where Kelli and THEGIRL were having some fun. I guess they were doing their best to ignore him despite the fact that he was within 10 feet of them. From 50 yards away I watched him.

He stopped behind them, glared back at me and suddenly went into what I can only call a bodybuilder's "flex the biceps pose." They missed it, but the deal was sealed. He'd been just erratic enough, just unnerving enough, and now he was making a point of messing with me. He walked back to his blanket after that.

Our guest said he was done, and I suggested to THEBOY that he join his mother on the playground. I packed up the rocket, headed to the van and called 911.

I gave them good info from afar. They wanted me to stay on the phone with them. I was across the park from the freak at this point, and he suddenly started walking towards the playground again. He was much closer to my family than I was. I told the dispatcher I might have to go, and suddenly he turned around and headed back to his gear. He started packing up; maybe he'd seen me on the phone. I hung up, headed for the family met them just as Hurst PD arrived.

I was relieved to see them. He took off his cap and looked entirely too young to be homeless. He also suddenly seemed much more coherent. I was kind of angry that it had come to this, but the guy made a point of behaving in a strange, threatening manner. So be it.

The plan all along was to retreat if something got ugly. Get between the family and him so they could get to the van. Fight only if given no choice.

And I will be honest with you: I didn't have great confidence in my ability to whip out a stunning display of Krav Maga and send this turkey to the turf. Sorry, but three weeks of classes don't get a guy there. At least I had the snap to realize that.

The police sent him on his way, and told me afterwards they'd dealt with him before. They mostly wanted him to just keep moving, and to stay away from the park. Fine with me.

***

Ever feel like crazy stuff just happens to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The question I'm usually asking is "Why does all the weird crap always happen to Brian?"

Bruiser

BB said...

Ha ha.

Ha.

So I guess it's not just my imagination.