Monday, April 03, 2006

Watch Those Knees...

Good afternoon, good evening, all that good stuff.

 

Hope you all had a fine weekend. Ours was good. Let’s see…

 

Saturday morning we got back our stats test. As I said not long ago, it was one of the hardest tests I’ve ever taken. I was pretty anxious as he handed them back.

 

The grade: 94!

 

I was pleased for sure. Heck, I was ready to do a backflip. He started talking to us about how many folks knocked their averages for a loop because of the test, and were below a B now. So it kicked some folks’ butts for sure.

 

Oh, and the prof said he thought the test was “about five percent harder than” our licensing exam would be. Good to know.

 

***

 

After that it was home for a quick lunch before gearing up for Krav Maga.

 

You know, it occurred to me that I may have found what I’ve been looking for. I’ve often lamented the fact that I can’t attend Whit’s school in Katy. I know they teach a good variety of stuff, have personable, skilled instructors, a good facility… After my experience in a grim-faced Judo class (where I wrenched my back and dislocated a toe), I thought maybe it just wasn’t meant to be.

 

But the KM school really fits the bill. There’s a good variety, it’s close, and the attitude is positive. Pretty much everyone there manages to work hard while having a laugh where appropriate.

 

***

 

I ended up training with a guy easily 100 pounds (and four inches) bigger than I. Hoo boy. He’s new too. He’s as strong as a bear, but not exactly a gracefully coordinated fellow. Every punch he threw to the bag just felt like DEATH knocking on door. If you know who Tank Abbot is, I’d say that’s a good comparison.

 

So we worked on some combinations. We both progressed steadily, going from slow and awkward to more fluid, faster. But this man’s aim was a bit lacking, and at the end he caught me with a knee to the crotch three times in a row.

 

Thank GOD for cups.

 

***

 

Saturday evening I hit the Rangers/Marlins exhibition game. I’d scored freebie tix in the home run porch. It was okay and all, but I’m not fond of sitting out there. I’m one of those rare folks, I guess, who DON’T care to catch a home run ball. I couldn’t see much of the action anyway, so I bailed out after about seven innings and hit Forever Young records in Arlington.

 

There I scored Deadwing by Porcupine Tree, a Sea of Green CD (forget the name), and Townes Van Zandt.

 

I heard a student once describe Gabriel Garcia-Marquez’s Love in the Time of Cholera as “beautiful and badass,” and that’s how I’d describe Deadwing. That’s a rather unique brand of metal/pop/cerebral/ethereal/heavy craftsmanship at work there.

 

The Sea of Green I haven’t heard enough of to form an opinion yet, and I haven’t cracked the Townes CD at all.

 

***

 

I bought THEBOY this great air-powered rocket gizmo Saturday too. One Sunday I took him, his sleepover buddy, and THEGIRL to a soccer field to let it rip. It’ll go well over 100 feet straight up. It’s a hoot! Lots of fun for sure.

 

***

 

Having discovered that kickboxing is just too doggone much at the moment, Kelli is headed to KM herself tonight. It’s no walk in the park, but I think she’s got a better shot at handling the pace in there.

 

30 minutes ‘til quitting time. Ya’ll have a good one.

 

No comments: