Friday, March 31, 2006

"You. you're not BB."

Happy Friday, yes indeed yes indeed.

 

***

 

Ya’ll need to click on over to High Bias to check out Toland’s fine and entertaining recap of SXSW.

 

Love this line: “But Witch rocked reasonably loud and hard in the proper lighter-waving, beer-drinking, Satan-worshipping way, and the audience responded lustily.”

 

***

 

Today’s going to be a good day, hopefully. Slept okay, had my Starbucks…

 

Jeez, I seem to have been demoted though. Just when I was getting some recognition there, some props for the fact that I pour enough money into that joint to pay their light bill each month, suddenly the following scene occurs:

 

Barista: “I’ve got a venti iced coffee unsweetened for BB.”

 

Me: “Thanks.”

 

Barista: “You… you’re not BB.”

 

(Pause)

 

Me: “Sometimes I’m Brian. But when I use that name there’s usually another Brian here somehow, so I go with BB.”

 

(Barista smiles awkwardly, gives a pitying look) 

 

***

 

“You’re not BB”…?

 

Is there some other BB she thought I was impersonating?

 

“He’s a strappin’ sonofabitch, 6’7” easy, with a navel-length beard, knuckles like leather and barefoot. Stirs his decaf nonfat caramel macchiato with a high-carbon steel butterfly knife… you are NOT BB…”

 

***

 

Had a fine evening. Class was good. Came home and got to tuck in the kids.

 

When I read to THEBOY at bedtime, it’s usually a comic book these days. He’s into Fantastic Four stuff at the moment.

 

So I indulge my old voice acting whims a bit. You know, during the course of one FF comic book I end up trying to come up with unique voices for, say, Reed, Johnny, Sue, Ben, a stray scientist here and there, a bad guy or two, stray scientist’s daughter, cavemen who slipped through the GeoPortal, and an Indian cabbie with his fare.

 

THEBOY laughs the most at my bad Indian accent. I think my two female voices have actually prepared me to stage a one-man production of The Birdcage off-Broadway this fall.

 

***

 

More later, I can assure you.

No comments: