Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Beast in BB

I nearly fought a guy at the video store last night.

***

Yeah, I can barely believe it either. First time since '89 or '90 that I came close to a scrap.

And like last time, it was over a dispute in a parking lot.

***

I'd dropped off the overdue DVD at the video store. I went to the van to leave, and a white truck parked to my right. But before I could start it and put it in reverse, he backed out again, and stayed a vehicle length back, just waiting there. I kind of got the idea he wanted me to back out, but about half my view was now blocked. He was also right where I'd have liked to cut my wheels and turn to leave.

So I waited, unsure what he was doing.

In the spot on the other side of where he'd been, a family got in their van. The truck honked, then began to park again as both vans eased back.

Then I heard the truck driver, a kid of 17 or 18, yell at me through his window, something about "move your ass."

And the words just came out as I rolled down my window.

Me: "Exactly what the hell do you think the problem is?"

Him: "I'm trying to park and you won't move your ass, bitch."

Me: "You got a hell of a mouth on you, you little sonofabitch."

HIm: "I'll show you who has a mouth on him."

Me: "I do NOT know just what in the hell you think my parking spot has to do with you, junior, but you better shut up."

He started to say something, then turned to his two friends in the truck and said, "Ya'll stop laughing. It ain't funny him calling me 'junior' and all."

He got out and I stayed there, halfway backed out as he looked away. Young guy, shorter than me but maybe the same weight. He ever-so-boldly took the top step by the video store door and barked, "Go!" at me. I just stared as he turned and walked in. His friends were laughing as he walked in behind them.

***

I was pissed off. I honestly didn't want to fight that young man, but I wasn't about to get chastised for nothing and drive away.

***

I'm still not sure what to think of the whole thing. I've got a broad spectrum of friends out there. Some would have done the same thing, some would have walked away.

I guess we know what I would have done.

Not if the kids had been there though.

No comments: