Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Chemistry

Current intra-cranial tune: “Gonna Fly Now” from the Rocky soundtrack.

 

Kill me.

 

***

 

Dad used to use this insecticide called Dursban. Familiar with it? It was very effective. He’d just spray it around the perimeter of the house, and it’d keep most anything out for a good long stretch. It had a distinctive odor, but it wasn’t the worst I’ve ever smelled.

 

This was in the early 1980s. I believe Dursban has either been banned or greatly restricted since then. I’m sure it’s because it’s a carcinogen or especially toxic or something.

 

I don’t say that because I’m worried about our exposure to it. Really, the stuff was outside, not used all that often…

 

I do say it because I smell it when I’m coming to/leaving from work. As I drive by this one apartment complex, I can smell it from the service road. Maybe it’s not Dursban, but it’s some sort of potent insecticide that I can smell from my van as I drive 30 yards from the front of the complex, going 40mph with the windows down.

 

It’s STRONG. And it just makes me wonder if there are any health problems popping up for the residents of that apartment complex.

 

***

 

Things I don’t understand part 5,114:

 

Yesterday I wore a white shirt.

 

Beneath that was a white undershirt.

 

So why was the lint in my navel blue?

 

(Go ahead and groan…)

 

***

 

Come to think of it, the Dursban complex is the same one where I saw Captain Crackhead that time. Hmm… perhaps this superhero originated from some sort of exposure to chemicals like lots of them do.

 

And like Barry Bonds, heh heh.

 

***

 

I heard on the radio that there’s a book coming out that details Bonds’ steroid use over the last several years. Keith Olberman has read at least some of it, and he finds it so damning that he says Bonds is “done,” that he’ll be run out of baseball and expunged from the record books.

 

It’s so specific, so incriminating, that the consensus on ESPN was that if Bonds doesn’t sue the writers and publisher, it’s a tacit admission of guilt.

 

I can’t quite bring myself to rail against Bonds like I should I guess. I wanted to, but at this point he suddenly looks to me like a man with a drug problem. And you know, there’s a whole lot more to a drug problem than a moral failure.

 

***

 

But I still don’t like the guy. Using steroids may not have been against baseball’s rules when he belted 73 homers in 2001, but it was still unethical.

 

***

 

Time to bow out before I utter more contradictory nonsense.

No comments: