Wednesday, March 22, 2006

KM

It was a good evening in the Briscoe household. THEBOY has been very good lately. He’s had a good long stretch with no timeouts at school—excellent! THEGIRL barely naps anymore, and since she’s still not feeling 100% due to a cough, she can be cranky. But really, she’s been a little more even-tempered lately, and sweet and cute.

 

***

 

I visited a martial arts school a couple miles from the house. They mostly teach Krav Maga. If you’re not familiar with it (like me), it’s Israeli self-defense. I’d say it most closely resembles kickboxing or Muay Thai. Whit, if you are reading and would care to comment/clarify I’d be happy for the input.

 

So I went in and met Sensei Clay L’Onis, the owner. This guy is about 6’5”, and can’t help but be a bit intimidating despite his jovial demeanor. He ran us through a fast-paced class, and did a good job of not singling me out while not ignoring me either. The other students seemed nice, and my brief exposure to Krav Maga was encouraging.

 

It’s a very intuitive art, with lots of punches, elbows and knees. We worked on a number of combinations, as well as a gun disarm. I have almost no striking experience, and it showed. I’ve now got some nice, purple knuckles that somehow don’t feel as bad as they look.

 

We’re considering the family plan quite seriously. It’s not cheap, but for what he’s offering it’s actually quite reasonable. It’s close to home, the schedule is friendly… it’s really pretty ideal. It was a good workout.

 

***

 

In fact, it was nice to try this while in shape instead of going in overweight like I did in Judo. I spent a lot of time in there just hoping to hold on, hoping I’d have enough in the tank. This time around no matter what Sensei put us through I knew I had the reserves to do it.

 

***

 

Boring here. I may post quite often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Krav Maga is a very straightforward art that is geared specifically towards self-defense. Lots of knees, elbows, in-close work, and weapon disarms. I like its simplicity, and its reliance on large muscle movements, rather than on subtle intricacies that take longer to perfect. It's a solid art, and I'm thrilled that you're getting involved.