Friday, March 03, 2006

As the Work Week Winds Down...

Has anyone seen my glasses?

 

***

 

Seriously burnt, fried, frazzled and DONE here. Fridays in traffic… oy.

 

But Tex Mex tonight!

 

***

 

About 200 yards from the house is an auto repair place that, until a few months ago, was also a gas station. They boarded up the pumps, painted the place and put up new signs.

 

Driving by on my lunch break today I saw that the building had burned. It’s still pretty intact, but it was clear a serious fire had started in the men’s room.

 

I have to wonder if an exploding gas station so close to the house could have affected us. That seems awfully close.

 

***

 

To add insult to injury, I’ve just learned that the Rangers game was on the radio this afternoon. Radio, of course, being one of the privileges taken away from us this week. Funny, listening to those games always made me work like a madman instead of the other way around. It’s like I never wanted to leave my desk, and just sort of his this fast, happy rhythm.

 

***

 

Advertisers… you just would not believe how they have broadcasters over a barrel.

 

Here’s a real example:

 

Big Money Advertiser sends us a memo stating that they don’t like where their commercial ran, because it was close to a commercial one of their competitors ran. Among all the paperwork, policies and instructions received for this client’s commercial was NO mention of any desire for this sort of separation.

 

In fact, their memo acknowledges that nothing was mentioned about it.

 

AND the placement they’re peeved about occurred during a Big Sporting Event which had commercial breaks bought almost exclusively by Big Money Advertiser and its competitors. Literally, there was no way to run their spots without placing them closer to each other than they’d like.

 

Yet the memo says they’re considering insisting on receiving billing credits for this. And the station can’t do a thing about it.

 

***

 

I’m trying to use this logic to work out an angle to get out of my light bill, but so far I’ve got nothin’…

 

***

 

FYI, as part of a school project I may send most everyone I know a survey about culture and ethnicity this weekend. Participation will be voluntary and anonymous, of course. I mean, I’LL know who sent it, but I won’t share that info.

 

***

 

Tomorrow I expect to get back the in-class essay I botched so badly last week. THIS ought to be amusing. Nothing like asking yourself a question then spending a two-page essay answering it incorrectly.

 

***

 

And now for a long, slow stroll down the hall to kill some time before 5:30. If you’ve read a word of my bored (and probably boring) output today, thank you. Have a good evening, a good weekend, all that. Cherish your partners, ya’ll.

 

 

No comments: