Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Luby's: Home of the ninja chef

What I need, see, is a job that allows me to write what I want, when I want, in whatever quantities I want.

 

I’m guessing quantity would not be a problem.

 

***

 

Headed out for a quiet lunch earlier. I thought I’d pick up a newspaper then eat at the dreaded LUBY’S. I had to stop at two different grocery stores to find a Dallas paper. With half my lunch break already gone, I got my Luann platter and looked for a table.

 

There was a coworker, reading a book. We said hello, ditched our reading plans and sat down for a pleasant meal.

 

***

 

Lots of people diss Luby’s, but I like that place.

 

In fact, the one by the office here is startlingly good. I mean, they make a baked fish almondine that is out of this world! It’s good enough that I imagine there’s some real chef in the back. Maybe some down-on-his luck bad boy, kicked out of a posh chef or teaching job. He’s back there with the industrial-grade ingredients the truck brings every week, working his magic.

 

It’s that good. I had this squash the other day… hey, I LIKE squash, but it’s bland, admittedly.

 

And it was flavorful and tender, and better than any squash I’d ever had.

 

Luby’s: Home of the ninja chef.

 

***

 

Wow… the Rangers waived John Wasdin and released Ruby Durazo. Doesn’t this leave at least one spot on the 40-man roster open? I’ve heard rumors that they’re trying to trade for Atlanta’s John Thomson, who’d be a serviceable arm in the fifth spot for sure. He had moderate success here before.

 

***

 

Kelli was hanging out with a bunch of topless women this morning and apparently made a roomful of new friends.

 

And I’ll leave that at that.

 

 

No comments: