Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Hot Knife

Had a decent evening. I fed the kids some pasta, then headed out for a kickboxing class.

 

It went… okay. After Saturday, when something clicked and my punch combinations were flowing, last night was like a step back. Everything was deliberate, didn’t get much faster, didn’t ever start feeling very natural. Phooey.

 

But I enjoyed the workout at least.

 

***

 

One guy asked me if I was enjoying kickboxing classes. They have a rep for being real endurance tests (and for good reason). I told him that I do, “because I’m a sweat junkie.”

 

***

 

I came home and watched some UFC Unleashed. Seems they’re chopping up/repackaging old broadcasts now, and that’s fine with me. I could stand the history lesson.

 

The one I watched last night featured Royce Gracie. Holy cow, no wonder that guy’s name is synonymous with UFC (and MMA in general I suppose). They had guy after guy with good credentials in there with him. These were guys with multiple black belts in Kung Fu, Karate, TKD… ranks that take YEARS of hard work to achieve… and he mostly went through them like a hot knife through butter. At some point he’d get them on the ground and then it was just a matter of time.

 

Kimo put up a good fight, and even though he was touted as being a “freestyle Jiu Jitsu” fighter, he was clearly reluctant to take it to the ground.

 

***

 

Just about to register for summer and fall. Looks like I’ve got to take a class this summer from the head of the program. I like him, as does everyone else, but this class has a reputation for being very difficult. You get put through the wringer in this one, but supposedly walk away very well-educated.

 

Taking a deep breath here.

 

***

 

Ya’ll have a good day.

 

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Always thought that Royce was somewhat overrated. Yeah he kicked ass in the first 5 UFCs, but most of those guys had never fought against anyone outside of their discipline before, put him against a decent MMA fightter and he'd get beat to a pulp... Kimo, BTW, hurt Royce badly enough that he had to throw in the towel at the start of the next match...

Royce vs. Hughes is going to be brutal, just ugly. Royce doesn't stand a chance.

BB said...

Wow! I saw that he was hurt. Was it his ankle? Looked like he rolled across it and bent it at a funny angle as he (Kimo) got up.

I agree with you, but I'm still curious to see how this will go. Gracie did stuff I've never seen before.