Tuesday, August 22, 2006

5

Trying something a pinch more chipper, not that I'm feeling that way in the slightest.

Five songs that at some point in your life you've listened to over and over.

1. "Sweet Life" by Varnaline. Aural morphine.
2. "Lazarus" by Porcupine Tree. Beyond gorgeous.
3. "Sober" by Tool. I'd never heard anything like that before. Remember, we weren't far removed from the days when Warrant were chart-dominating "metal."
4. "Cinnamon Girl" by Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet. Man, that one captures something I can't put my finger on.
5. "Good Night, Sweet Night" by Jason Falkner is basically the theme song to this neverending self-re-creation.

Please feel free to join in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. "Doornail (Hats Off to Buster Keaton)" by Anders Parker. This is just one of those tunes that strikes an indefinable chord with me. I love Parker's stuff in general, though, and this could easily apply to a good dozen of his solo ("Keep Me Hanging On," "Tell It to the Dust," "Fast and True") and Varnaline ("Northern Lights," "Meet Me on the Ledge," "Green Eyed Stars," "Difference") tracks.

2. "The Sky Moves Sideways (live)" by Porcupine Tree. I wasn't wild about this tune on the studio record from which is comes (seemed a little too derivative of Pink Floyd), but the live version on Coma Divine just blossomed into the quintessential psychedelic rock epic. Whenever I have 15 or so minutes to kill before an appointment or something, I put this one on.

3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" by Matthew Sweet and Susannah Hoffs. I've always loved this song and I just adore the way Hoffs sings it.

4. "In My Time of Need" by Opeth. From their non-metal album Damnation. The lyrics scan like the self-absorbed ramblings of a depressed teenager on the page, but the gentle way Mikael Akerfeldt sings them gives them power. And the melody is just gorgeous.

5. "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" by the Temptations. Maybe the most perfect piece of music created in the 20th century. I never tire of hearing this.

Michael

Anonymous said...

1. "Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight" - The Rezillos

2. "Washington Bullets" - The Clash

3. "Pretty Vacant" - Sex Pistols

4. "Message To My Girl" - Split Enz

5. "Hebridean Hale-Bopp" - Capercaillie

Bruiser