Sunday, August 06, 2006

Tonight's Intervention

Just finished watching the new Intervention.

Many shows are devoted to two people, though this one featured only Tim.

He's young, early 20s I guess. Prodigiously talented musician, one who claims to have figured out the piano "in seconds," plays drums, sings, writes, and produces.

In fact, he does all of that for his girlfriend's band, Madyson and Elixir 9.

He's also a whoppingly dramatic, scary, off-the-rails crack addict.

***

As talented as he is, and as much potential as he has to succeed, he can't help but sabotage it all with his crack binges. And when the voice of reason pipes up--sorry!--at all (via Maddy), he goes into rather pathetic scenes, which are likely to include "I'm dying" OD scenarios.

I found his "I'm forgetting my name" stunt amusingly embarrassing. Loved it when Maddy reminded him that he'd just managed to remember HER name.

After a bender she tells him to take a hike. He tussles with her father, who shows remarkable self-restraint in not decking him despite the dozen or so justifications he was provided.

All of this takes place somewhere in Florida. Despondent after the big scene, Tim walks into a swamp.

***

I must admit that I hoped aloud that an alligator would appear and eat him.

***

Lo and behold, the intervention was really the tough love gesture it had to be. Tim's father shared some poignant words, really moving stuff.

And Tim said yes, headed off to treatment in Arizona.

***

He and Maddy seem to have a rather unhealthy obsession with each other, but you know, the guy's been clean since April. He looks much better, goes to group, goes to church, and wrote a love song for Maddy that he performs during his shows at a Scottsdale, AZ bar.

***

I must say, I didn't expect it to go that well.

***

My occasional pieces about the show Intervention draw some of the best numbers my blog gets. Months after a show I'll still get traffic about a particular person/episode. What I wrote about Chuckie Negron gets read each week.

I find it quite flattering. I'm one guy to whom this is important. I have empathy, but it's not boundless (see the alligator bit from above).

I want them all to succeed.

I want to help them. Most of them (again, see the alligator bit).

***

I'm going to do something unusual... I'm not going to say much about the band's music. I'll just say that it's not my cup of tea.

***

Take care. Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You should have seent the show that was on right before that one. If it hadn't been midnight I would have called you. It showed several meth addicts doing their thing and their lifestyle. One segment included a 21-year-old son who lived away and had his own apartment. He only did crank when he came home with his family. (mom was a bigtime user).

Another was a couple who were expecting a baby in a couple of months. The girl had gotten turned off to crank the time she smoked it and proceeded to puke 25 times. She was not using during her pregnancy, merely chain smoking (the legal stuff). Her boyfriend was using. She said it did not affect her. Then later she tearfully said if he continued after the baby he would be gone.

There was so much footage of people shooting up. They all claimed the first 15 seconds was the best part of the high. But man, they look so sick and in pain. What fun.

Anonymous said...

it didn't go that well, he relapsed and they broke up. then at the end it said something like "Tim CLAIMS he hasn't used crack since Sept. 2006". thought it was funny because all the other endings say that so and so hasn't used whatever since some date. but they had to drop in the "claims" part. ha! wonder why they believe all the others and not old swampy? was really hoping for a gator to chomp him up though.

Anonymous said...

omg, i feel for his ex-girlfriend what a big heart! anyone have any information on how to contact her? i have been through the sameshit with my ex-girlfriend its rough stuff email me at joncarbone@mn.rr.com or if you are reading this madyson i would love to chat! email me
<3
Jonathan