Saturday, August 12, 2006

Book Survey

I'll post some real content soon. I'm pretty doggone busy. Got a final tomorrow morning.

***

1. One book that changed your life:
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

2. One book you’ve read more than once:
On Fire by Larry Brown

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
10 Little Indians by Sherman Alexie

4. One book that made you giddy:
Faithful by Steven King and Stewart O’Nan had its moments. (It’s a chronicle of the Red Sox championship season in ’04)

5. One book that wracked you with sobs:
Cracked by Dr. Drew Pinsky

6. One book that you wish had been written:
One more from Larry Brown before he died. But that wouldn’t be enough either.

7. One book you wish had never been written:
Well, I’ve thoroughly regretted both times, even though I was only a teen, that I read novels adapted from movie screenplays (ET and Rambo in this case)

8. One book you’re currently reading:
I’m spending a lot of time flipping through Krav Maga by David Khan

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia-Marquez

10. Now tag four bloggers: Geoff, Nadine, Amanda, Bruiser

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. One book that changed your life:
The Deathbird and Other Stories by Harlan Ellison

2. One book you’ve read more than once:
Backstage Passes by Al Kooper

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
The Lone Ranger & Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie

4. One book that made you giddy:
Not sure what this means...giddy because it was so good? Giddy because it was upbeat and positive? I'll go with the former and say pretty much anything by T.C. Boyle, because I'm just in awe of the way words flow so beautifully out of his pen. Even when his stories have little actual meaning, the way they're told can be breathtaking.

5. One book that wracked you with sobs:
I did read a novel recently in which it was clear about a 3rd of the way through that it couldn't possibly end well for any of the characters in it, and I found that so sad (nearly every character was likeable in some way, even the antagonists) that by the final third I was weeping openly. But I'm embarassed to say I can't remember what the title is.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
I wish Arthur Lee had written an autobiography before he died.

7. One book you wish had never been written:
I think every book's existence is worth something to someone. That said, I'm continually astonished that anything of value is ever found in that piece of empty-headed trash Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Gods of the Blood by Mattias Gardell, a study of the confluence of the pagan revival and white separatism in America.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
The Demon Box by Ken Kesey. I bought it in the late 80s and it's still sitting on my "to read" shelf.

10. Now tag four bloggers: Sleepy, Dopey, Snarky, Sleazy

Geoff said...

Actually the novel for Rambo (the first one) was written first and I thought it was actually really really good. Of course I was probably 15 at the time... and in the novel Rambo dies at the end, which should have spared us from Rambo 2 and 3.

BB said...

You know, I'm glad you said that. I DID read the First Blood book, and I enjoyed it. I think I read the adapted-from-the-screenplay book to one of the other Rambo movies. I'd forgotten all about that.