Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Current music: “I Wanna Die for X-Mas” by the Streetwalkin’ Cheetahs.

***

I dreamed Paul McCartney was in the press, lamenting his impending divorce and admitting he just couldn’t get over Linda.

And this morning I find an email from his marketing folks hawking his new classical album (the Latin title of which escapes me… so much for marketing).

***

“Beanery” is a funny word.

***

From last night’s lecture: 50% of the alcohol in the U.S. is purchased by 10% of the drinkers.

***

I introduced THEBOY to Ray Harryhausen via Jason and the Argonauts. He really digs the harpies and the big fight with the sword-bearing skeletons (aka “the Children of the Hydra’s Teeth”… some metal band really needs to snatch that one up).

***

Pitching for the Twins today: John “Boof” Bonser. Boof is a funny word too.

(Right, Llorca?)

***

Wow… Mike Young leads the Rangers in RBIs with 70. This is a #2 hitter. Impressive.

***

Whoa… I’m devoting today to job searches. Four applications out by lunch…

Check this out from one of the online applications:

As a tobacco-free Company, (BIG COMPANY)’s policy is to not hire candidates who use tobacco. Do you use tobacco?

(Nicotine testing is included as part of our pre-hire screening process.)

*

Jeez, they can do this? If I were, say, a recovering cocaine addict and applied for work at the very clinic where I was treated, they could not consider my substance abuse history when I apply. It’s part of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

So a company can exclude smokers from the get-go? I find this quite interesting.

***

Better jet. Holler! Drop me a line!

1 comment:

Geoff said...

They couldn't exclude you because you'd previously done cocaine, but they could still legally exclude you if you had a felony or give you a drug test and exclude you if you were still doing cocaine, right?

But thats kind of beside the point, how the hell can you exclude smokers?