Monday, August 14, 2006

A Rocket, Some Butt-Kicking, and Some Spiders

Plenty going on today.

THEBOY, of course, started kindergarten. It went very well, save for the fact that he left his lunch money in his backpack. We've been reminded that his lunch money needs to be in his POCKET, not his backpack. Okay okay.

But he went to school with no apparent anxiety at all. Believe me, we asked him 12 times in 30 seconds how he was doing. He really only said two things:

"I get to learn new things!"

and

"I built a rocket!" (There were blocks on the table)

***

As we left, Kelli began crying. It lasted a while.

I was a little emotional, but really, she's emotional enough for the two of us. Hell, she's emotional enough for our entire zip code.

***

I got good job news today, which I've shared with many of you. One big step closer.

***

Went to kickboxing tonight, and it was pretty grueling. Sensei didn't tolerate much nonsense from us. All business. It's exactly what I needed.

***

On Gene Simmons' Family Jewels tonight, in fact, his wife and daughter attended a Krav Maga class. I gather it's pretty trendy among famous folks.

His wife and daughter went there, ostensibly, so his "oh my GOD she looks older than 13" daughter can have some skills for fending off the boys.

They punched, they kicked, they worked out... And when Simmons found the sight of the well-padded instructor getting kicked in HIS family jewels amusing, he got invited to put on a padded suit and take a beating.

It was pretty amusing.

***

I suppose this'd be a good time for one of my random plugs for the place I attend, Tiger Klay's Mid-Cities Krav Maga, here in Hurst, Texas. (The link is right over there >>>>>>>>)

If you're reading this, maybe you'd done a bit of poking around on a search engine, wanted to find the lowdown on the place.

Go, check it out. Sensei L'Onis is great, a great instructor and guy. I wouldn't write it if I didn't believe it. I'll never be a big, muscular guy, okay (see the "Bigger" entries from a few weeks ago), but my shape has changed. I've got definition I never had before.

And the confidence this has instilled in me is impressive. It's true; once you get some skills (and I'm not quite yet an orange belt, folks) you gain the ability to shrug off some things that might have burned up a short fuse before. Not to mention the confidence to remain calm in a situation where you may have no choice but to use your skills.

So go. Tell them I sent you. I'm not on the payroll or anything.

***

Reading Nadine's blog reminded me of a story from back in the day, a nice freaky episode with an old girlfriend I'll call Jane.

(We've been broken up for 16 years; really, I not doing this as a diss. I'm almost over her by now, nyuk nyuk)

***

It was probably 1988 or so. We took a road trip that included San Marcos. We probably swung up into Austin as well, though I can't say for sure.

We'd crashed in some motel room. I was dead asleep when she sat up in bed.

Jane: "SPIDERS!"

Me: "Flrrrrglmph."

Jane: "SPIDERS!"

Me (waking up in a panic): "What? What?"

Jane: "Spiders!"

Me, gasping, turning on the light: "Where? Where?"

Jane: "Everywhere! All over the bed!"

(Jane pants, taking in the scene. I too take in the scene, and see no damn spiders.)

Me: "I don't see any spiders. Go back to sleep."

Jane's head hits the pillow and she is immediately asleep.

Me, I'm panting, my heart is racing, I'm full of adrenaline... it takes a while to get back to sleep.

***

The next day she had no recollection of the incident.

***

Boogie time. Ya'll have a good one.

No comments: