Monday, November 27, 2006

A Pox

A pox upon all those authors of children's books who insist upon using the word "gasped." Have you tried to say that word lately? That is, have you tried to read it to a child and make it sound at least somewhat intelligible?
 
It's in a lot of kids' books for some reason.
 
***
 
Things for BB to do during the break between semesters:
 
1. Listen to CDs. There's are big stacks in my study, and there are many I haven't even spun once.
2. Work on cardio. Sparring with Whit underscored that the stamina I'm so proud of has begun to slip since I'm not running regularly anymore.
3. Run? The leg is improving through physical therapy. It'd be nice if I could get in a running routine again, and maybe take a stab at the Cowtown in Ft. Worth in February.
4. Prepare for green belt test (see numbers 2 and 3, above)
5. Learn some Chen Taiji
6. Read the parts of the DSM-IV that I should have read this semester but didn't.
7. Re-finish the end tables
8. Sand/paint the iron bed frame
9. Put together this year's family video. (As a bonus I may throw in footage of the latest round of BB/Whit sparring, aka "BB the Human Punching Bag")
10. Take some naps
 
***
 
My paper is done. My homework for tomorrow is done.
 
So in the next eight days I need to do the two take-home finals. One final push to get through the semester.
 
I wonder if I'm kidding myself during those moments when I hope to maybe earn an A in advanced abnormal psych.
 
***
 
The CD player in the van has stopped working. Ugh.
 
***
 
Jeez, have I ever posted the story of Earl? You know, the guy in the wheel chair I almost maimed that time? I must have... right? I'll poke around. It's a classic, and if I haven't posted about it before, I aim to soon.
 
***
 
Be good.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Please do throw in the footage of the Whit/BB ass beating, uh, I mean sparring match....

Anonymous said...

I read to my students at least 10 minutes each day. Most of my kids are "reluctant" readers, but they do enjoy R.L. Stines' "Goosbumps" books. He uses "gasped" quite a bit, but his most overused word is "stammered" - I think he uses that word five times per page.

Bruiser

Anonymous said...

Pronounce "gasped" as the British do - "gahsped" - and it's easier. Of course, you'll sound pretentious, but you'll also sound less like you're trying to spit on your children.

Michael