Thursday, November 02, 2006

This 'n' That

I like ol' Criss Angel well enough. I guess due to sheer amount of exposure he's the preeminant magician of our day. David Blaine's entertaining as well, but he doesn't have his own reality show.
 
Have you seen the one where Angel appears to lift a cab? They go into all of this business about his mindset, his determination, his workout schedule, all that.
 
Whether it was trickery or not, the sight of him lifting the cab was pretty impressive. He grunts, groans, screams, and up goes the front end. Apparently pumped up afterwards, he rips off his shirt.
 
And after the trick some of the women on camera, having just seen a pretty amazing feat, can only say, "I like the part where he ripped off his shirt!"
 
The lesson: Great abs trump magic.
 
***
 
If I had abs like his I'd never wear a shirt. I'd sit around and listen to Clifton Chenier and play washboard on my abs.
 
***
 
Came home from KM last night and the back door popped open as I pulled into the garage. It was THEBOY, naked, doing his pre-shower ritual.
 
It was quite amusing.
 
***
 
No word on the job thing yet.
 
***
 
Current music: "I'm Ready" by Muddy Waters
 
***
 
MOBB informs me that she has applied at Oxford.
 
"Uh... you mean in Mississippi?" I asked.
 
Nope.
 
***
 
One day Toland and I still need to take a Mississippi trip. At one point we had this idea to take off in a rental car and head over there, maybe get bold enough to visit some hardcore juke joints. And we sorta wanted to seek out Larry Brown. I don't know whether Brown would have found us to be the slightest bit interesting or amusing.
 
Then he up and died. Crap.
 
***
 
So I know a bunch of people who have chosen to put the opinions of anonymous posters on a web forum ahead of their own experience. I know that's vague, and I'm sorry. I won't get more specific. Some of the anonymous knucklehead posters poke around this blog, apparently, and I mean to be very clear that this is not the place for them to grind their axes.
 
But like I said, folks I know read these anonymous posts, which just reek of mob mentality, and decide to chuck their personal, hands-on experience in favor of what the message board says.
 
I don't get people sometimes.
 
***
 
Happy Thursday.

No comments: