Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Breathe

From a story about libraries closing in Salinas, hometown of John Steinbeck:

"It's embarrassing, not to mention inconvenient," said Ben Lopez, 69, a Salinas resident since 1945 who visits the Steinbeck branch at least twice a week. "Where else will I go to check out material -- Prunedale?" he said, referring to a relatively spartan branch of the Monterey County Free Libraries system.

***

Is there really a city named "Prunedale," or did we just slip into a Simpsons-oriented alternate reality?


***

Got my new speed bag mounted in the garage. It's SOLID too. Can't wait to get out there and do some work. Should be good for the part of my back that gives me the most trouble. And I'm sure I'll pummel it when angry sometimes. Hell, I should put one up at work.

***

Weirdest town names? I'd say Pleak, Texas is one that's always stuck with me. Midlothian too.

***
Happy Tuesday. And remember: Breathe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This from your wifey: My mother thinks "Purdon" is the worst town name in Texas, and I happen to agree with her.

Anonymous said...

Purdon? Yech. Pleak is pretty bad, too.

The name I've always found kind of...unsettling is Needville. Why name your town Needville? What, exactly, do your townsfolk need? Company? Tourist income? Blood? I've driven through Needville many times, but never stopped. Not sure I want to encounter any Needy citizens, know what I mean?

Michael