Thursday, December 09, 2004

Together

I've been pondering this phenomenon lately, the one where two or three friends get into the same music at the same time. I mean, we music nuts love to make mix CDs for our buds, hoping we can turn them onto the brilliance of some old Aztec Camera song or a Jellyfish outtake. But getting someone to fall in love with something that also moves you is really gratifying. And rare.

Earliest time I can think of this happening, save for bands like Foreigner spreading like wildfire among kids in general way back when, is when Bruiser and Michael and I all fell in love with King's X at about the same time. Cannot remember who heard them first. I'm almost certain it wasn't me. There was Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, this pseudo-concept album by a Houston pop metal trio. Great harmonies, terrific guitar tones, clever songs, and some sort of loosely-defined concept. I've stuck with the band pretty consistently since then, and though they've put out some great stuff, nothing touches Gretchen. I honestly think they're better when they have something to say. They should do a Gretchen 2 or something.

Jellyfish... that's a big one. I think Michael pulled up at my house in Angleton with them playing on a boombox in his VW Beetle (hey, a man's gotta have his road tunes). I wasn't impressed at first. Not great, not bad; I still expected every pop album to be another Abbey Road. But I worked in this record store where Bellybutton was played a lot, and I really fell in love with it, not long after Toland had.

The Replacements. I have Bruiser to thank for them. I think I loved them from the first moment Bruiser played them for me in his folks' living room. "Can't Hardly Wait" still gives me chillbumps.

And oddly enough, Bruiser and Michael and I all seemed to re-discover Motorhead a few years ago. Maybe Bruiser was on board with them all along. But Toland and I seemed to just spontaneously crave that particular sound of theirs. He's seen 'em a couple of times. I've seen them once, and I know Bruiser's seen them at least once.

Sometimes it doesn't take. I thought I'd really fall for Spock's Beard. Gorgeous voices, pristine sound, clever arrangements... but I couldn't hang with all the prog excursions.

And I love Merle Haggard, but I don't think Michael feels the same way. Probably respects him as a songwriter and all, but man, I get genuinely excited when one of his songs comes on.

Other artists... Femi Kuti, who's been a really cool discovery for me. And the Bevis Frond. I'm not head over heels for it like he is, but I do get the urge to hear it. Was blasting it the other night while striking gear after an audio gig, and Erik, the on-site tech, commented on how good it sounded. Compared them to Space Hog, whom I don't believe I've heard.

We're doing it again with Jason Falkner. Launch kept playing songs from Can You Still Feel? (Mostly "Goodnight Sweet Night"). It was gorgeous stuff, and his Jellyfish connection didn't hurt. This was a year ago. Kelli was very pregnant with THEGIRL, and one night we hired a sitter for THEBOY so we could have what'd likely be a last date for a while.

We hit the CD store, and I picked up a copy of the Falkner CD, skipping right to "Goodnight..." Suddenly the impending arrival of my daughter had a soundtrack.

I was in one of my periodic extreme night owl phases, staying up until 3 or 4 am on Friday and Saturday. Kelli was uncomfortable, tossing and turning in bed a lot, so I slept in the nursery-to-be. And many of those nights I'd lie there in the darkness with Falkner on the headphones, and it was the best mood enhancer in the world. No sights, hardly any sensations except this lush pop masterpiece in my ears over and over.

Clever-ass record, and let me tell you, the lyrics have some emotional resonance too. Long about February, when THEGIRL was almost here and I was making up my mind to get more education and go into the substance abuse recovery field, the song "Author Unknown" was in the background: "If the path of least resistance is all you ever take, well at least you've been consistent in your defying Fate." The CD is just full of stuff like that, smart statements on art and inspiration. Not to mention sing-along choruses.

So I gave Michael the "you really, REALLY ought to check this out" push... and he did. Boom... something clicked with him too. Now he's doing like I did, getting the guy's other stuff (like the overlooked CD titled Presents Author Unknown, which is not a masterpiece but is pretty flippin' good in its own right).

It's really rewarding when this happens. I need to try and foist this on Bruiser.

I wonder what's next?

RIP Dimebag Darrell, but keep in mind that the "P" for him would probably stand for "party."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Earliest time I can think of this happening, save for bands like Foreigner spreading like wildfire among kids in general way back when, is when Bruiser and Michael and I all fell in love with King's X at about the same time. Cannot remember who heard them first. I'm almost certain it wasn't me.

***I'm positive it was Bruiser.

The Replacements. I have Bruiser to thank for them. I think I loved them from the first moment Bruiser played them for me in his folks' living room. "Can't Hardly Wait" still gives me chillbumps.

***I think this ties in to the weird coincidence thing. I got into them due to, believe it or not, a review in Rolling Stone of Tim. I didn't buy them then, but I kept that in the back of my mind because I really liked their name, and when I heard "I'll Be You" on a video show, I dug it enough that I bought Tim first.

And I love Merle Haggard, but I don't think Michael feels the same way. Probably respects him as a songwriter and all, but man, I get genuinely excited when one of his songs comes on.

***It has less to do with the Hag himself, than it does the fact that I rarely listen to C&W much anymore. If I do, it's usually Haggard. I just got two collections, one called 20 Hits that has all the 60s and 70s stuff, and one of his Epic years in the 80s ("Big City" and the like). Along with the comp you made me from the box set, this is probably not only the essential Haggard, but for me the essential country music (outside of Hank Williams) as well. He's a great singer and songwriter, that's for sure, but I don't crave his stuff the way I do so many other artists'.

And the Bevis Frond. I'm not head over heels for it like he is, but I do get the urge to hear it. Was blasting it the other night while striking gear after an audio gig, and Erik, the on-site tech, commented on how good it sounded. Compared them to Space Hog, whom I don't believe I've heard.

***They had a minor hit with a pretty cool rock tune called "In the Meantime." Though Erik thinks a neo-glam band sounds like the thoroughly psychedelic Bevis Frond? Um, OK...

I wonder what's next?

***My mission is to turn everyone on to The Soundtrack of Our Lives and their predecessor Union Carbide Productions. Not to mention the Hellacopters. Sweden rules.

RIP Dimebag Darrell, but keep in mind that the "P" for him would probably stand for "party."

***So how are they going to honor him at the strip club he co-owned? "This lap dance is dedicated to Dimebag, gawd we loved him so..."

Michael

Anonymous said...

I am definitely on board the Jason Falkner train. I bought my copy of Can You Still Feel? a few months back when Mike and I were on one of our semi-regular runs to Cheapo. Mike's exact words: "This is so good I wish I could buy it again." Well, how could I resist such praise?

Have you heard Cotton Mather's KonTiki?

BB said...

I've heard good things about that Cotton Mather album, actually. Had the title stuck in my head a while. I'd pick it up if I ever found it.

Glad the Falkner love is spreading. There's just something about that album...