Monday, December 06, 2004

Nariz Navidad

The new High Bias is out (http://highbias.com). It's a really good ish, even though it's got some stuff from me innit... (nyuk nyuk).

***

A highlight from the weekend: THEBOY spontaneously bursting into his re-interpretation of the Jose Feliciano Christmas song. Instead of "Feliz Navidad," ("Happy Christmas") Kevin was singing "Nariz Navidad," which translates into "Nose Christmas." Excellent pronunciation of "nariz," but not quite the holiday sentiment Feliciano had in mind, I'd guess...

***

Still bothered by Larry Brown's passing. What little I've read about it online paints a grimmer picture of his drinking, smoking, and overall health than I was aware of.

I always had it in my head that someday I'd meet him, or at least write to him. The guy had an impact on me. He was an Alejandro Escovedo fan, and I'd hoped that one day Toland and I might actually undertake a Mississippi trip and seek him out, coercing an interview with the aid of a fine Escovedo bootleg I've got. Damn damn damn.

***

Had a speaker in class today. She was covering HIV/AIDS/STDs. And a woman in the back answered the speaker's first few questions the same way each time. "Anal?"

I'm not sure there's a classroom scenario in which I'd say that aloud.

***

Some interesting quotes from a Salon.com interview with novelist Jerry Stahl. I'd post a link, but you've gotta sit through several pages of ads to even get there. Blech.

"I don't subscribe to the notion that Bush Jr. is necessarily the worst president -- but I do believe he'll be the last one."

"Self-destruction, at this point, is a wing of show business."

"What's left after they cremate you isn't powder, like in the movies. It's more like kitty litter or gravel. In fact, when I go, I'd like to have myself scattered on somebody's driveway."

***

Have a good week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A highlight from the weekend: Kevin spontaneously bursting into his re-interpretation of the Jose Feliciano Christmas song. Instead of "Feliz Navidad," ("Happy Christmas") Kevin was singing "Nariz Navidad," which translates into "Nose Christmas." Excellent pronunciation of "nariz," but not quite the holiday sentiment Feliciano had in mind, I'd guess...

***I'm teaching this one to my niece and nephew.

Still bothered by Larry Brown's passing. What little I've read about it online paints a grimmer picture of his drinking, smoking, and overall health than I was aware of.

***Apparently...if only someone would write a freakin' IN-DEPTH article about his recent years so we wouldn't have to wonder. Maybe they're waiting for the autopsy report.

I always had it in my head that someday I'd meet him, or at least write to him. The guy had an impact on me. He was an Alejandro Escovedo fan, and I'd hoped that one day Toland and I might actually undertake a Mississippi trip and seek him out, coercing an interview with the aid of a fine Escovedo bootleg I've got. Damn damn damn.

***One of the things I've always had in the back of my mind was to have you interview him about music. He was a big music fan and a lot of artists he dug wrote songs inspired by his work (Slobberbone's "Little Drunk Fists" comes to mind) and I think it would have been cool to have someone who understood his work as well as you talk to him about how the music he loves influences his writing and vice versa. Another opportunity lost to a cruel universe.

Michael