Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Surge

I can't decide whether to try harder to fathom the tsunami disaster in Asia, or to try harder not to think about it.

I got caught in a storm surge once. It was '78 or '79. A hurricane was skirting the Gulf of Mexico.

It didn't hit near us, but it came close enough to cause the tide to come way in. We took the van to the beach, where the water was 100 yards or so farther in that it should have been.

Paul, a stepbrother I had at the time, waded into the water unnoticed, and I followed. I was about chest deep when this strong undertow swept my feet out from under me. I was by a utility pole, and managed to wrap both arms around it as the water pulled me. I was submerged horizontally for several long seconds before it stopped pulling. Neither adult noticed until we were coming in from the water.

***

My Law and Order namesake, Lenny Briscoe, has died. RIP Jerry Orbach.

***

Listened to Moving Pictures by Rush this morning for the first time in quite a while. I still think it's a landmark album. Neil Peart... I know more about drumming now than I ever have, and I'm more impressed than ever by his over-the-top technical prowess. Not trying to defend an approach that some might consider lacking in soul. I'm just saying that no one I've ever heard can dissect a backbeat like Peart.

Love these "Witch Hunt" lyrics: "Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand."

***

Jim Reeves's piece on Johnny Oates's funeral was excellent. I was crying at breakfast. Way too many tears this holiday season.

***

Having egg nog flavored coffee. I'm largely opposed to flavored coffee, but Erik brought it in, and it's not bad. At least it's not hazelnut.

***

I can still remember my grandfather asking his wife one holiday season to give him some more "nog," meaning whiskey or rum, minus the creamy stuff. This is about as close as I get these days.

***

Have a good week. Please.



No comments: