Tuesday, December 14, 2004

***

True story, which the David Allan Coe business reminded me of:

I snagged backstage passes to meet Robert Cray in late '90 in Austin. I forget the venue. I was waiting in line, and directly ahead of me was Johnny Paycheck, going relatively unnoticed. He'd just gotten out of prison, and I have to say, he seemed to be... under the influence of something I'm fairly certain wasn't Jesus.

When the line moved and he was next to get in, security asked him to show a pass, which he didn't have. And he said, "Hey man, I WORK FOR Johnny Paycheck."

And the security guy looked at him like he'd never heard the name before. So I guess he hadn't.

Paycheck then burst into the chorus from "Take This Job and Shove It."

And you know, they let him in.

***

Agreed with you, Bruiser, on the Coe stuff. Having a daughter will make you re-examine a few notions about the female gender, eh?

Happy Tuesday, ya'll.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to the big guy. Four years...time goes so quickly when they're growing. I still can't believe Connor is seven.

I'm sorry to hear that he's being clobbered by two illnesses, though. Strep throat alone is bad enough. I hope he pulls through soon.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kevin! I'm sorry that you are sick and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Georgina

Anonymous said...

Hey, what can I say, but I am honored that Brian and Kelli named named the little guy after me...

Bruiser