Monday, December 20, 2004

Home Again Home Again Jiggedy Jig

Had a good weekend, a really good one. I went to Angleton Friday to see some family. Had a fine time catching up with Dad, Charlene and Amanda. Her kids are too cute for words, and her daughter Maddie looks like her at that age. Best night's sleep I've had in a long time.

Saturday evening I had a tremendous meal and a fine evening with my buddy Whit McClendon and his wife Christina. Their son Connor is too cute for words, and seems to be made of lead... heaviest three-year-old I've ever encountered, and this is from the father of a fairly big four-year-old.We watched videos of many types, caught up, and spent the evening being boys.

Sunday Whit and I headed to his school for a day of Busting Brian's Butt. I had a good workout and a great introduction to practical martial arts. We worked on punches, kicks, elbows, slaps, etc. Had some fun with the speed bag and heavy bag, and Whit gave me some great gloves.

Then I attended a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu course taught by Sensei Paul Thomas . Great teaching, good group of guys. I thought I was lost in about 30 seconds, but I actually got to practice on some holds. I love how practical and straightforward BJJ is, with nothing wasted or just for show.

The drive home last night was probably my best-ever commute back from that area, and I was very happy to see Kelli and the kids. THEBOY is very proud of his "kung fu shirt," and wore it to school today.

And now... everything hurts. I held up okay yesterday, but it was a workout nevertheless. Opening doors hurts enough to make me laugh out loud. Feels good though.

***

Having lunch with Whit yesterday, I mentioned one of my favorite bands, Jellyfish. He said they sounded familiar. He thought a moment, and said, "Baby's Coming Back."

Guess who's about to get himself a Jellyfish comp CD from me...?

***

Currently popular word I'd be happy to never hear again: Canoodling

***

Have a good week, everyone.

No comments: