Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Adios, Twig

Wayne Terwilliger is retiring at the age of 80, after 57 seasons in baseball. Astonishing.

***

Ah, Fort Worth has a plan to run out the grackles: gunfire. As if having kids hadn’t frayed my nerves enough.

***

Hey you Wisconsin boys… know this turkey? His daughter ate some of his pot brownies, and now he may be going to the pokey.


***

Here’s what stress does: Friday, which was awful, I saw Kelli over lunch. I probably wasn’t good company, as I was too wrapped up in the circus my workday had become.

And as I left the house, I heard that old familiar voice telling me to dig through the medicine drawer to find something to take the edge off.

These are the things I didn’t admit for years.

***

I didn’t do it. Just had that urge.

***

But you know… what’s the opposite of self-destructive? Is it self-constructive? Man that’s got an infomercial sort of ring to it.

But whatever the opposite of self-destructive is, that’s what I’ve become. Working out, busting my butt in school… Good for the body, mind and soul. Apparently I’m not good at being complacent.

***

I will be off tomorrow. I plan to study for tomorrow night’s appraisal/assessment mid-term, do some jogging, maybe stop by THEBOY'S school to have lunch with him, and maybe squeeze in a nap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ah, Fort Worth has a plan to run out the grackles: gunfire. As if having kids hadn’t frayed my nerves enough."

The University of Texas tried this a few years ago. Imagine sitting in an evening class as the sun goes down, glancing out the window to a guy in a UT Physical Plant uniform walking around the campus with a shotgun, randomly firing it into the air. More than a little disconcerting, especially when I looked around my class and no one else seemed to find this unusual.

What is Ft. Worth planning on loading into the guns? UT used crackers.

Michael

BB said...

Ft. Worth did mention the crackers. They also mentioned some sort of licensing for private citizens to use starter pistols (and maybe other pseudo-firearms; can't recall for certain) for this.

Yes, there are a lot of grackles here. If they've become a genuine problem I've missed it. They're noisy and aggressive, but really, they have no direct impact on me. And anyone who walks under, say, a tree full of them need to be aware that they just might be shat upon. That's life.