Thursday, October 27, 2005

Bugs

The Astros lost, sadly. The White Sox were just too much for them (or any team perhaps).

I sure got tired of seeing Joe Crede in the middle of every play. And Pierzynski. And Konerko.

***

Anyone see that suit Pedro Martinez was wearing? Jeez, was it actually made out of caucasian flesh?

***

Got two sick kids now. THEGIRL went to school yesterday, but she coughed a lot and didn’t nap.

THEBOY woke up telling me his stomach felt like he was going to die. I suspected it was an act since his sister had been getting so much attention for being sick.

Kelli says the moment I left the house he vomited.

That’s right… I’ve got two sick kids at home, and they don’t even have the same damn bug.

***

Of course, since I’ve used every last resource, idea, favor and extension to get the sick kids covered one week before I’m supposed to HAVE any vacation time at this new job, well, if I get sick (or some demonic combination of their illnesses) I’ll probably have to work anyway.

When you complain about this kind of thing and you’re a parent, it sounds selfish.

Selfishness is a bad trait in a parent I suppose. But man, anything other than utter altruism and selflessness will come off that way.

***

I do feel bad for them both, believe me. Like Sherman Alexie said, “A father with a sick child is an angry god.” Leave my kids alone, you stupid-ass virus. Why pick on someone so small? I can take it… square off with me…

But they never listen.

***

That same Alexie short story, the name of which escapes me right now, is where I first heard the phrase “chocolate thunder.” Man… I laugh just thinking about it.

***

If you haven’t read his stuff, you really, really should.

Have a good one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TWO sick kids... ugh. I feel for ya, man. So far things are good here. I probably just jinxed myself. I am currently debating whether to even bother getting the kids flu shots. Seems like every year they get them, but the big bad-ass flu is a different strain that what is in the shot. And geez, Aaron got his last year, and he STILL ended up in the hospital. I just almost don't want to bother putting him through a shot that almost seems useless. I'll probably do it, grudgingly.