Saturday, October 08, 2005

Tractor Guy

Been a good weekend I'd say. UT whooped OU, the Yankees and Braves face elimination, kids have been pretty good, no class this morning... Yeeeeah. BB happy.

***

Words to the song I made up at breakfast this morning, as THEGIRL danced while eating her raisins: "Raisin dance, raisin dance, everybody loves to do the raisin dance. Raisin dance, raisin dance, stand on your toes and shake your pants!"

***

Jim Edmonds just made a great catch against the wall on a long fly from Khalil Green. Nice!

***

Kelli was at an Egyptology conference all day, leaving the kids with me. They were quite good, all things considered. I even took them to a nice resale shop and loaded them up with clothes. Scored this sweet fleece hoodie for Kevin that has Batman on the front and back. I wish it was just a little bigger, but for $3.50 how could I refuse?

Tonight I took THEBOY to see the Wallace and Gromit movie, which we both enjoyed.

***

Helped Hood strike his gear again last night. Man... there's something about these facilities where they feel like they've got a license to mistreat you sometimes.

We were making good time getting out of there. Hood pulled his rented minivan onto the field to load up the big cable spool and miscellaneous RF gear. An obese old guy pulled up on one of those little flatbed tractors and started barking at us, asking if we had permission to bring the van on the field. We did. Asked how long we'd be, and Hood estimated it'd be 20 minutes. Keep in mind that this was GOOD time we were making. And the guy grumbled under his breath. Hood offered to lock up for him, and he said, "No you cain't either or you're gonna get me FIRED!"

He turned his tractor around and zipped off. In moments the stadium went completely dark. The bastard cut the lights on us. Luckily we had the van's headlights to help. And when we went to leave--you guessed it--we'd been locked in. WOW. Everyone was gone, the stadium was dark, and somehow this old guy thought padlocking us in was justified.

I wasn't awfully worried, as on the other side of the locked gate was MY van. In my mind I was giving this scenario about five minutes to get resolved before I planned to hop the gate to get my wrench. The latch on the gate wasn't exactly complicated, and I'd have been perfectly content to undo the two bolts holding it together and let Tractor Guy explain it to his boss.

The boss showed up though, apologizing to me. I told him it was okay, because I knew HE wasn't the one who did it.

***

Tomorrow is Sterling's birthday party, and I'm also going to buy some real running shoes so I can resume my regimen.

Ya'll have a good weekend.

No comments: