Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Point at Which I Can Breathe...

What a day.

The development test was a bitch, it really was. Trick questions, random details about various theories and such (and we've covered a lot), a genuine red herring...

"So how'd you do, Brisc?"

Glad you asked. Or not.

Um... I'd say a C is a real possibility. Wow. And you know, I went back over the test (50 questions), and changed six or seven of my answers. Usually not a good sign, but I kind of felt like taking the test had warmed me up by that point, like I was finally awake enough to grasp some of them. I think changing the answers improved my chances, actually.

Maybe I got a B. I was the last one to leave, and the prof asked me if I thought it was fair.

Okay. I've had two huge tests this week. I emphasized the other test, as I've mentioned. Since that one I've spent every spare moment (and then some) cramming for the development test. When my vision got blurry while studying last night I went to Starbucks for an infusion of sugar and caffeine.

The test was HARD. Is it because I tried to cover too much in too little time? Or was it hard for everyone?

By the time I finished, I was really in no shape to say much to the prof except, "I like Jello."

***

The consensus, by the way, was that the test was a bitch.

I think I told the prof I thought it was fair.

***

This afternoon... the highlights and lowlights:

Helped Kelli plant some flowers.

Had lunch at Luby's.

Picked up her cake.

Took a good nap.

Worked myself into a tizzy over the messy house that needed cleaning before the babysitter's arrival.

***

Then, of course, came Kellipalooza 40. We hit Dave and Buster's with an intimate-yet-good group for some really good food, a little pool and shuffleboard, some cake and gifts.

Our guests:

Geoff and Mel--GREAT to see them. They were a lot of fun!

Kimber and... cannot recall his name-- She was funny and interesting, and he, as I learned too late, has seriously good taste in music. That is, he likes Helmet and Bad Brains too. Wish I'd had a chance to talk to him more.

Heather--Having her around is like having another Kelli around in a way. She and Kelli are thick as thieves these days, and I'm glad Kelli's got such an angel for a buddy.

Joie and Yvette--Hambone! I believe I'd be glad to invite those two to anything for the rest of my life.

Teri and Peter--Little T! Ever known folks you always mean to catch up with and maybe swing the odd dinner with? Bingo. Getting to know Teri and Geoff (and Hood, who had to work tonight) was probably the best thing that happened to me at BACS.

And that was IT.

Yep. 11 total guests.

At some point in throwing a party I always get the feeling like I profoundly misunderstand something, like there's some step or procedure or measure of cool I'm simply unaware of. Invite 30, end up with 11.

But like I said, it was a game little group, with good stories and a nice vibe. Kelli was pleased, and that's what really mattered when all was said and done.

***

Tomorrow, Corsicana...

Ya'll be good.

No comments: