Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Empty Golf Shirts and Huge Knees



What I want to be for Halloween: Torgo, from the movie Manos: The Hands of Fate.

***

Mark Teixeira, in today’s Dallas Morning News, admits he had never spoken to recently-ousted Rangers GM Jon Hart.

And that’s just the proof I need, really. The guy had a reputation as an empty golf shirt around here, a non-presence in times of crisis (like Kenny Rogers’ assault on a camera operator, ARod’s departure, the chair-throwing incident in Oakland… the list goes on and on). I thought maybe he didn’t like to talk to the media, and I don’t know that I’ll ever blame someone for that.

But Teixeira is poised to be a new ARod, in fact. Tremendous talent, squeaky-clean image, and represented by Scott Boras. To discover that the first-in-charge in the organization (under owner Tom Hicks) never said a word to him… that’s just appalling.

***

Current music: “Ramblin’ Rose” by the MC5

***

And you know… as rare as it was, Hart DID speak to the media sometimes. No avoiding it. And he certainly talked about Teixeira and his performance, his contract, his agent, his future here… How would you like for your boss to talk to the newspapers/broadcasters about you without having so much as said hello to you? Ever.

***

Great workout last night. I feel like I’m reaching another level with my endurance. Weighing in at 167.5 most of the time. Weight drop is slow now, but I’m steadily changing shape, reaping the benefits of having real stamina for once.

On the way out of the gym last night I bumped into a couple young guys who’d been playing in the basketball tournament. They were having a post-game cigarette. I won’t go all “after-school special” on ya, but you know… doesn’t something about that strike them as odd?

***

I’ve heard stories about ex-Rangers pitcher Charlie Hough jogging with a smoke dangling from his lips.

***

Have a grand Wednesday, ya’ll.

No comments: