Friday, July 13, 2007

Music Thangs

I’m actually writing this Thursday night. Again, I should be sleeping.

***

Didn’t get to show my video tonight. Dang. Technical difficulties.

***

A mixed up music meme. I just ganked a few things from a quick Google search.

*Did you have any bands that you were ashamed of liking in your younger days?* I’ve pretty much been independent enough to go ahead and like whoever the @#$% I want since about age 10. I never could quite get my head around my Tears for Fears CD though.

*Do you look back on some of the things you listened to and groan? If so, what were they?* Let’s see… Judas Priest. Yeah, that’s pretty much it. And my moment of clarity came at a Judas Priest concert. I looked around at all the other mullet-wearing imbeciles there, watched the fist pumping, Rob Halford’s comic preening, and realized that the whole thing was startlingly stupid. And I’d paid to be there.

*Up through the 80's there were a lot of music related tv shows did you watch any? (That weren't on Mtv or Vh-1).* There were? I was always an Austin City Limits fan. And you know, there was a time when BET used to trot out decent concert footage of guys like Muddy Waters and BB King.

*A good many singers/musicians made films that were pretty awful, but have a cult following, which ones do you like?* Rock ‘n’ Roll High School featuring the Ramones is a classic. Roger Corman’s greatest achievement.

*Are any of your youthful guilty pleasures still favorites now? Or do you pretend like you never liked them?* I still think the Firm did some damn good songs.

*What type of music do you find to be the best to sleep to?* Anything in the “new age” section will put me to sleep, but given my druthers I’d rather toss that Kitaro CD in the trash and sleep in silence.

*Is there any kind of music that you absolutely can't fall asleep to?* I guess this is a setup to say something like “Norweigan death metal.” Really though, so many lullabies have bells in them—and I can’t stand bells—that I’d probably not be able to sleep while listening to a lullaby.

*If anyone artist could sing you to sleep who would it be and what would they sing to you?* Why don’t we just gather Diana Krall, Susanna Hoffs, and two-thirds of Wilson Phillips and let them pillow fight over who gets to sing me to sleep? And the winner can sing anything she wants, save for Wilson Phillips songs.

*Top 5 "Musical" prized possessions...rare cd...autographs, instruments etc.* For a man who doesn’t really aim to collect autographs, I’ve somehow ended up with a solid little collection. Just off the top of my head:

1. My BB King autographed 8x10”. After fetching my wife and kids, this would be my next trip into a burning house.
2. My Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck autographed ticket stub and backstage pass. They’re framed with an 8x10” of the two of them playing together. I got them one very fortunate night in ’89 when I went backstage in Houston and met them both.
3. My Autographed Eric Johnson 8x10”.
4. My Tom Servo acoustic guitar, from the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode “The Girl in Lover’s Lane.”
5. Gotta say my John Entwistle autograph from the 1990 NAMM show in Anaheim. He wasn’t nice, he didn’t want to sign, and I felt like a jerk for bugging him. Still… he was the Ox.

***

Okay, Muay Thai makes BB sore.

Pain is good. It reminds us that we’re alive.

***

Have a happy Friday. Somebody loves you. Be glad for that.


***

Friday morning post-script: I dreamed I was in some familiar club, seeing Dash Rip Rock, who were a sad sight. They were plodding through some generica three-chord instrumental, and keyboards were all over the stage. At one far end was Bill Davis, plugging away. At the other was Hokey, probably as far away from Bill as Sonny was from Cher when my folks saw them on their "pending divorce" tour.

So seeing Dash was nothing like the old days, when beer bottles got smashed, Hokey was fall-down drunk, I was in the pit with gum in my hair, Bruiser was singing...

In the dream I forgot something in the van. I went to look for it, and someone tapped me on the shoulder. I started to throw an elbow (that's elbow #3 in Krav)... and it was my wife waking me up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Did you have any bands that you were ashamed of liking in your younger days?*
Nah. I don't believe in being ashamed of one's tastes. As stupid or horrible as some music may seem to outsiders, at one point it meant something to the person listening, even if only briefly.

*Do you look back on some of the things you listened to and groan? If so, what were they?*
There are a few bands I liked when I was younger that I can't stand now: Styx, Air Supply (yes, I admit it), Emerson Lake & Palmer...More recently (well, late 90s), I had a brief flirtation with Kid Rock.

*Up through the 80's there were a lot of music related tv shows did you watch any? (That weren't on Mtv or Vh-1).*
I used to watch Friday Night Videos a lot. I'd occasionally watch Austin City Limits, but admittedly not very often. My father was the big ACL fan, and by the 80s he no longer lived with us.

*A good many singers/musicians made films that were pretty awful, but have a cult following, which ones do you like?*
I agree about Rock 'N Roll High School. I saw it recently on the big screen, and technically it's pretty bad, but it still snaps, crackles and bops on the screen. I also love the absolutely ridiculous Phantom of the Paradise, starring soft rock god Paul Williams.

*Are any of your youthful guilty pleasures still favorites now? Or do you pretend like you never liked them?*
There are no guilty pleasures. All music means something to somebody, even nobody else can understand it. A more accurate question would be: are there any artists from my teenage years I still listen to regularly now? Pretty much the only one that still gets semi-regular play is Yes. Occasionally I'll pull out a Rush disk. If I had any on CD, I'd probably listen to Queen more often.

*What type of music do you find to be the best to sleep to?*
I need silence to go to sleep. When I was in junior high, I used to drift off to top 40 radio, though.

*Is there any kind of music that you absolutely can't fall asleep to?*
Considering that I once nearly fell asleep at a death metal/stoner rock show (due to complete exhaustion, not the music), I guess not.

*If any one artist could sing you to sleep who would it be and what would they sing to you?*
The late Sandy Denny singing "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" would be the perfect lullaby.

*Top 5 "Musical" prized possessions...rare cd...autographs, instruments etc.* Hmm...

1. I love my Fender Bullet - not only because it's a very versatile guitar, but because of how I got it and what the plaque on the back says. (BB knows what I mean.)

2. I'd also rescue my Yamaha acoustic 12-string from a burning building. I've come to realize over the years that it's kind of a piece of crap, but it was the first guitar I ever bought for myself and I've written and learned too many songs on it not to keep it close to my heart.

3. My Ibanez electric mandolin is lying dormant right now, but it was willed to me by my grandfather, who built it from a kit in the 70s.

4. I'm not much of an autograph hound, but I do treasure my Wayne Kramer poster from his tour supporting The Hard Stuff, simply because the man himself signed it for me when I interviewed him for Pop Culture Press.

5. Recordwise, I have a few rare items, but the only one that's truly worth anything is my vinyl copy of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Street Survivors in the original cover of the band standing in flames. My late 80s girlfriend bought it for my birthday and paid something like $15 for it, which I thought was steep at the time. God knows what I'd pay now.

I guess I'd also want to rescue all the magazines and newspapers in which my prose saw print.

Michael

BB said...

Oh, I'm awfully flattered. I had a rare opportunity to get a good deal on a solid little instrument that I personally liked quite a bit. Heck, it saved our bacon during the "Be My Morphine" session, eh? Once the Telecaster's pickups proved to be microphonic we went with the Bullet, and it performed like a champ.

And I haven't remembered one of your birthdays since..!

amcnew said...

Sometimes I still pull ABBA off the cd rack. That is a bit embarrassing to admit. However, nobody but nobody better say squat about Karen Carpenter...