Saturday, July 07, 2007

Quick Hits and Burpees

THEBOY and I hit a different Starbucks this morning.

Pros: It's close to home, and they had my cinnamon scones.

Cons: It's small, and right by the freeway.

I think we'll keep looking.

***

Things to do this weekend:

1. Write chapter 10 paper for class (done)
2. Write chapter 11 paper for class (rough draft done, though I reserve the right to chuck it all and start over)
3. Go to Krav Maga in the morning. Take kids, complete with snacks, blanket, and movie.
4. Feed kids lunch.
5. Deal with roof inspection guy who is coming over.
6. Pick up house in anticipation of pest control treatment
7. Get haircut
8. Get THEBOY a haircut at a different place (naturally... my "grownup" barber shop doesn't provide video games)
9. Take midterm exam
10. Videotape four 10-minute practice counseling sessions for pre-practicum. Then assist three classmates as they do theirs.
11. Buy groceries.
12. Pack for Austin trip Monday
13. Put van in the shop

***

I'm exhausted, practically nodding off here at this crazy machine. But I've just had a root beer float big enough to hide the Loch Ness monster, and if I go to bed now I'll just have to get up shortly to hit the restroom.

***

It's great to be around THEBOY as he discovers his world through the written word. As we drive along he reads signs and comments on them.

This morning:

"Mattress Giant. Hmm."

[pause]

"It would make more sense to me if it said 'Giant Mattress'. Maybe they just wrote it that way so people would notice it and come in the store."

***

The sun was actually shining this afternoon. Cool!

***

BB's current therapy: "Twice as Hard" by the Black Crowes. I'm enjoying playing the ripping slide part on the new Les Paul.

***

I've subscribed to Guitar Player magazine for the first time. I used to read it voraciously back in the day. There are lots of nu metal shredders in there I don't know a thing about.

But the cover story is about the 20th anniversary of the release of Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien.

Whoa. 20 years. I worked at Hasting's Records when that came out. Heck, I bought it. On vinyl.

I wasn't all that taken with it, by the way.

***

I don't like burps. There you go. I don't like hearing them, doing it, nothing. I wish we didn't burp.

But we do.

***

And I'm not altogether fond of burpees either, though I certainly do enough of them.

***

It's about that time. Take care, take care.

4 comments:

SifuWhit said...

Don't be dissin' the burpees! They make you strong, grasshopper!

Your next assignment...

Burpees x 30 seconds
Jumping Jacks x 30 seconds
Split Jumps x 30 seconds
Burpees x 30 seconds
Jumping Jacks x 30 seconds
Mountain Climbers x 30 seconds
Rest for 30 seconds

And then repeat this circuit 4 more times. No rest between exercises, just when you finish a circuit. Have fun, macho!

Anonymous said...

What, pray tell, are burpees?

I remember Surfing the Alien. Satriani was better than most of the 80s shred pickers, but that ain't sayin' much.

Michael

SifuWhit said...

Begin in a squat position with hands on the floor in front of you

Kick your feet back to a pushup position (chest close to the floor)

Immediately return your feet to the squat position

Leap up as high as possible from the squat position

Repeat, moving as fast as possible

Here's a clip (no, that's not me!)
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

Geoff said...

Burpees are God's way of telling you your weak. They have a funny name and seem to be a combination of squat thrusts and jumping jacks. They can't be that hard right... then your lying on the floor exhausted wondering why you can't do ten in a row.