Sunday, July 22, 2007

Weekend Wrapup

I should be working on a paper right now.

And I will, I will... MOBB is at work, and the kids are going to watch entirely too many movies today while I write 10-12 pages on folks with names like Krumboltz, Super, and Tideman.

***

It's been a good weekend, really good. I've had the one and only Whit McClendon up for a visit. He came because he had students participating in this year's Taiji Legacy Tournament up in Plano. Oh, and he came to see me.

***

Friday night was fine and dandy, just catching up over Tex Mex. He had time to swing by the office and meet a few of my favorite folks before quittin' time.



Just a few days earlier it had looked like this, but it's been cleaned up a lot since then.

***

Before setting off for the tournament we had time to do a Krav class together, which meant a lot to me. After my brief stint in Judo I'd sort of kept an eye out for another decent martial art taught close to home. Lo and behold there was a Krav Maga school a couple miles down the street.

And it was Whit, Mr. Old-School Kung Fu, who told me Krav is actually quite good ("elbows and knees mostly"), and that I MUST give it a shot.

A year and a half later here I am.

So we had a small but good class yesterday morning. I showed my usual flaws, did a couple things okay, and left having had a decent workout. Whit liked what we do, and it meant a lot to get his perspective on it.

***

So after lunch with the family, THEBOY and I headed up to Plano for the tournament. It took entirely too long to get there, it really did. Bad traffic.

But we stayed pretty much all day.



We saw some really cool forms.



We saw some Chinese grappling, which I didn't know existed. I can sort of pronounce it. I can't nearly spell it though.

***

So yeah, good stuff, good stuff. Whit's students did well, both earning gold medals. Afterwards we all had a nice meal together. I've got a great photo of THEBOY asleep in the van on the way home.

***

I'll dive into my paper soon, but first... just because...



"The moon. Beautiful."

[Yes, I've had that song from Ferris Bueller's Day Off stuck in my head for days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can certainly understand how someone can become smitten with the moon. Lovely shot.