Thursday, August 09, 2007

Burgersmith

I am extremely sad to report that George Smith, former owner of Burgersmith on Surfside Beach, was found dead on the beach today.

He was my first boss, though only for one weekend. He was a family friend, and when I was about 14 my stepbrother Steven and I spent a weekend at Burgersmith, slinging burgers all day long for beach folks. We busted our butts. George was very appreciative and paid us reasonably well.

Using the toilet cost a quarter, and he ended up chasing a few folks down the beach to collect his quarters.

George was a character. I remember going to some beach gathering once and he showed up in a woman's one-piece swimsuit. He was an eccentric individual.

Somebody in the family help me out here: Didn't he end up with Grandma Laura's old house, hauling it to the beach and putting it up on stilts? Do I remember this correctly?

Foul play is suspected.

I knew his daughter Stormy just a bit, and I feel awful for the family. Rest in peace, George.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just talked to CMB. Yes, he got Grandma's old house. She said George did them a huge favor by taking it.

They were of course sad to hear the news.