Friday, August 03, 2007

Of Health Fairs and Unicycles

It’s an exhausted BB who comes to you tonight, dear reader. Not even sure where I’m going with this one, but let’s find out together, shall we?

***

I’ve been up since 5:33. I’ve got this crazy internal alarm clock going right now, and whatever time I set it for doesn’t matter; I wake up a few minutes early.

Yeah, so I had to set out for a health fair in one of our outlying counties today. Personally, I like health fairs. If they’re well-attended they hum along at a good clip, and I get to interact with lots of folks.

And for once, the “you can’t miss it” instructions were darn accurate. The expo center is the biggest building in town.

***

And even before I finished setting up I found myself in an odd kinship with a maintenance man. He just kept hanging around the table and chatting, and before long he wanted to take me into the bigger parts of the venue, to show me where they’re setting up for barrel races and the “little pony” show.

***

The health fair itself was six hours long, and I paced for five. Been a little anxious lately. It’s a funny habit, the sort of thing you’re only semi-aware that you’re doing.

***

Got another health fair tomorrow. Just realized I’ve got to find a map to get there. Hmm.

***

The semester is almost over… the semester is almost over… the semester is almost over…

***

BB’s current therapy: “When Somebody Loved Me” by Sarah McLachlan.

***



At the health fair we were provided entertainment in the form of a unicyclist who did a choreographed routine to some fiddle tunes. Can you see a little of him zipping past?

I love me some small Texas towns.

***

Bedtime should be upon me, and I’m so damn tired, but I don’t want to go. I want to stop time, if just for a bit.

***

Wolfboy, tonight, asked us how to tell if someone’s “all powerful.”

He explained that you have to instruct them to create a rock that’s so heavy that they cannot lift it.

Circular reasoning… I told him that was a symptom of schizo-affective disorder.

MOBB wasn’t amused. “He’s only six!”

I wasn’t very serious.

***

So hey, this modest little blog is now at entry 936 or so... I suppose later this year I'll hit post number 1000. I imagine I should do something special for that, but... what? Any ideas?

I do think I'll humbly solicit opinions about good/bad/memorable/forgettable entries. I've got a few favorites, and a few stinkers I wish had never left my fingertips. And of course, lots of entries about coffee and scones.

***

Ya'll have a terrific evening, a good weekend, all that.

4 comments:

amcnew said...

No diagnosing the children, compadre. tsk, tsk.......

Anonymous said...

my parents used to make a special trip out to dallas for the health fair every year. We loved those Health Heroes, and they had an annual coloring contest which, me, my sister, and my niece entered every time. My niece's mom was very anal and told her what color to color each item and made her stay in the lines. She always won.....

Geoff said...

Hispanic Wellness Fair at Will Rogers?

BB said...

That's an excellent guess, G-Par, but incorrect. My agency, despite being located in Tarrant County, does not actually serve Tarrant County. I work in outyling counties like Parker, Hood, Johnson, Palo Pinto, Somervell, Erath, Wise...

I'd love to be at that one today, actually. It's going to be huge, just huge.