Saturday, August 11, 2007

Glide

BB's current therapy: "Let's Get Lost" by Chet Baker. Love that song, just love it.

***

It's been a good weekend so far. Reading that book almost cover to cover last night was a very welcome sort of release. It had been way too long since I'd done that. Maybe not even in this century.

***

Had to work today in one of our fine little outlying communities. Four of us loaded up and headed north to a tiny town in Denton County.

We unloaded our gear, got everything set and... waited.

Let's just say turnout wasn't exactly stellar. BUT, we had hours to put in, especially yours truly, having missed time to care for Wolfboy this week. So we sat there and waited.

***

The company was good though, and we got through it.

***

The scenery around that whole area was really nice though, with rolling pastures, trees, a lake, and an occasional guy on a tractor just out there doing his work. Something very pleasant about being out in the country, checking out the landscape, gotta say.

***

I came home to see THEGIRL in her princess dress, of course. I felt relaxed for the first time in quite a while, so I just hung out and played paper airplanes with the kids for a while.

We hit Double Dave's for supper, then headed over to Barnes and Noble. Everyone got a book but me.

And I tried, I did. I even buzzed the mighty Michael Toland for input. His must-read books were all, of course, not to be found in our local store. Drat. I carried a Nick Hornby book around for a while but decided against it. It's just... you know, after last night it just didn't seem like anything else would measure up somehow.

I did poke around in the martial arts books for a while, and was disappointed to see that there was nothing on Muay Thai. Man, they might have made a sale if they had.



They did have this though. Tempting though it was, I feel my ninja skills are developed to the point that no mere book would be worth my time.

***

Okay, I just saw this commercial for a Mitsubishi Eclipse. This guy and this girl are hotrodding around, having fun. They stop and the passenger, the girl, suddenly climbs into the guy's lap--whoa!. She leans over as if to kiss him, then shoves him aside to take her turn driving.

Let me just say, that ain't right.

***

I feel good. No, scratch that. I feel great. I feel like running. I feel like strapping on the iPod, putting on my running shoes, and hitting the trail. Just the ground and me, one step at a time, mile after mile, sweat pouring off of me, stars shining down at me, rabbits scurrying in my peripheral vision. I just want to fly. No. I want to gliiiiiiiiide.

***

Have a good weekend.

No comments: